cron daemon

Post by Pierfrancesco Cac » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I've a problem about crond.
> Supposing I have to run a program every day at 3 a.m., how can I tell it
> to crond?

> Thanks

> Guido

man cron
man crontab

       ik5pvx        |           http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.1.88 #1 Sun Mar 1 19:48:26 CET 1998 i586 unknown

cron daemon

Post by Guido Dolc » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > I've a problem about crond.
> > Supposing I have to run a program every day at 3 a.m., how can I tell it
> > to crond?

> > Thanks

> > Guido

> man cron
> man crontab

I tried both, but I they wsn't clear at all... at least for me....

Thanks

Guido

Sfera Networks Internet Service Provider
SFERA-MNT
http://www.sfera.net

cron daemon

Post by Jeffrey C. De » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> > I've a problem about crond.
>> > Supposing I have to run a program every day at 3 a.m., how can I tell it
>> > to crond?

>> > Thanks

>> > Guido

>> man cron
>> man crontab

>I tried both, but I they wsn't clear at all... at least for me....

Try an "apropos cron".  This returns a list of all man pages that
reference cron.  On my machine, I get:

$ apropos cron
cron (8)             - daemon to execute scheduled commands (Vixie Cron)
crontab (1)          - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3)
crontab (5)          - tables for driving cron

And this might be where you are getting confused.  There are _two_ manpages
titled crontab, one in section 1 referring to the crontab editing utility,
and one in section 5, referring to the crontab file layout.  Since most
Unix novices are unaware that man pages are organized in sections, or
that there can be multiple man pages with the same name in different
sections, doing a "man crontab" is probably going to confuse many of
them.

Try "man 5 crontab" to get the man page that describes the file format
you need to use, try a "man 1 crontab" to get the man page that describes
the tool you use to edit your crontab.

Or, as a quick example, type "crontab -e", which will bring up your
current crontab in your default editor.  Add a line like this:

0 3 * * * /usr/bin/the-program-i-want-to-run

First field is minutes, second is hours, third is day of month,
fourth is month of year, fifth is day of week, * means any.
0 3 * * * means every day of every month at 03:00.

--
It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students
that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are

1. How to prevent cron daemon from sending Emails to root@host ?

Well , I have a crontab job that runs every minute.
The problem is that the cron daemon is sending Emails after every cycle

mailbox of user root under /var/spool/mail.
My question is how to prevent the cron daemon from sending Emails.
Thanks in advance ,
Lior

2. Problems with getting my SiS6326 AGP

3. cron daemon dies?

4. Making a boot CD of RedHat for Sparc

5. Cron daemon

6. Solaris 10 SMF

7. email from cron daemon

8. module aacraid 0.9.10dmb halt system

9. ipchain block the email message from cron daemon?

10. how can uninstall and install cron daemon

11. My firewall block the log message from cron daemon

12. cron daemon permission errors

13. Cron Daemon