CD-Writer CD-Writer

Post by Henrik Becke » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

can anyone give a hint on a good and easy to install CD-Writer for SuSE Linux?

Gruss / Regards,

Henrik Becker

--

support FREE SOFTWARE www.KDE.org www.WINDOWMAKER.org www.LINUX.org

dt. J-Pilot Handbuch fertig: http://www.henrikbecker.de/jpilot

1. Reading CD-R & CD-RW with an ATAPI HP 7200e CD-Writer on RH 6.0...

I am presently unable to read CD-RWs or CD-Rs that are
not closed. I want to use both as lightweight backups.

I would prefer not to have to build a kernel. Reading
relevant posts has left me confused. (I am presently
assuming that the issue is UDF.)

Do you know if what I am trying to do is impossible, or
can you suggest pointers to continue investigation?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

PS.

The following may be germane, but I don't want to
distract from my question :-)

I use DirectCD on w95/98 to write the CD-RW and CD-Rs.
(I am assuming that I can use cdwriter to write, but so
far have only verified that I can use -eject and -load
to open and shut the drive tray :-))

I can read CR-ROMs and closed CD-Rs. This took me a while,
using the following magic:
    modprobe parport
    modprobe paride
    modprobe epat
    modprobe pcd
    mount -t iso9660 /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
If I try to mount a CD-R or CD-RW, I get the following barf:
    mount: block device /dev/pcd0 is write-protected,
        mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
       /dev/pcd0, or too many mounted file systems

The issue would appear to be UDF. I downloaded udf-0.8.8
from http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfennema/udf.html (this
seems to me to not require a kernel patch). I built this,
installed, did the modprobe udf, but when I did
    mount -t udf /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrw
with any CD in the drive (CD-{ROM,RW,R}), the CD-Writer
gurgled briefly and then my machine hung. I waited for
5 mins. but it still remained unresponsive. I rebooted
and repeated many times.

I read the FAQ in the udf-0.8.9.1 download (from
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/index.html), and
was confused by the following:
    2.3) Can I read DirectCD (or other packet-writing
         software) discs with this driver?
    Yes, you should be able to.
but later the FAQ writes:
    3.2) How come some discs can be read in DirectCD,
         but not with this driver?
    Usually, these are discs that DirectCD (or other
    packet-writing software) has not 'closed', ie,
    finished writing the UDF volume information. Some
    of these discs will cause the kernel to crash in the
    lower-level driver, even if the UDF driver isn't
    loaded. More work needs to be done to understand this
    problem.

So it would appear that I can't read CD-RWs or open CD-Rs
for the moment?

2. Termified Links: Mosaic & Netscape

3. CD-R/CD-RW (HP CD-Writer+ 7570i)

4. authentication from remote LDAP server?

5. Audio CD burning with HP CD-Writer

6. Setting up Name-Based Virtual Hosts with Apache in RH7

7. External, parallel port CD-RW (HP CD-Writer 7200) and Linux (RH7.3)

8. Monitor program in USA...

9. HP7100+ CD-Writer on parallel port detected as a removable CD (read only)

10. X-CD-Roast 0.95b - X-based CD-Writer package

11. cdrecord thinks CD-writer is CD-ROM

12. CD-writer and CD-rom: some simple questions

13. Troubles with CD-Writer and now alos with CD-rom