1. my processes eat cpu instead of exiting
I see this most clearly with QT programs -- I start up a little
example program from the command line and watch the output of
top. The program is using around 1% of cpu until I click the
exit button, then cpu usage goes to 99% and the program hangs
until I do ^C. If I start up several programs that display this
behavior, they split all the available cpu time among them.
This makes KDE and GNOME both unusable, because my system slows
to a crawl.
I can't tell exactly what the programs that do this have in
common, but I guess it has to do with exiting and/or waiting
on another process to exit. I can't tell what part of my system
is responsible, but it might be glibc-2.1.2. But at the time
I first noticed the problem, I had also recently installed
XFree86 3.9.17 and gcc-2.95.2, both compiled against glibc-2.1.2.
My QT is a 2.1 snapshot and KDE is 2.0pre. Linux is 2.3.42.
An application I working on hangs on exit even when I'm not in X,
and when I do ^C, it dumps core -- here is a back trace of the
#0 0x268 in ?? ()
#1 0x4090eb5a in cleanup () from /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5
#2 0x40a03828 in __restore ()
#3 0x40ac6836 in __do_global_dtors_aux () from /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
#4 0x40acfa5d in _fini () from /usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
#5 0x4000a7d5 in _dl_fini () at dl-fini.c:40
#6 0x40a05dd7 in exit () at exit.c:78
#7 0x409fdab4 in check_one_fd (fd=134657400, mode=35)
Anyone know what's going on here?
2. Linkers other than ld
3. Driver - X process eating CPU
4. Buffered output to stdout?
5. 7044-270, AIX 5100-03, gil process eats CPU, help !!!
6. sun 3/50 as X terminal
7. apache processes eating up all memory
8. Netscape and bold fonts
9. Some process eats memory
10. question about process memory usage and process memory limits
11. Top 5 processes in CPU or Memory?
12. TOP CPU processes & don't show all of memory
13. monitor one process's cpu and memory usage?