X Console Replacement Source Wanted - Motif, Solaris 2.5

X Console Replacement Source Wanted - Motif, Solaris 2.5

Post by Kevin E Cosgro » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm looking for an X console that will run under Motif on Solaris 2.5.
Ideally it would also be able to run under FVWM and Linux 2.0.

I'd like to replace xconsole with something that will be out of
sight, except for when new console messages appear.  It'd be nice
to have some sort of filtering too, but that's not mandatory.

TIA....

X Console Replacement Source Wanted - Motif, Solaris 2.5

Post by Chris van Engel » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm looking for an X console that will run under Motif on Solaris 2.5.
> Ideally it would also be able to run under FVWM and Linux 2.0.

> I'd like to replace xconsole with something that will be out of
> sight, except for when new console messages appear.  It'd be nice
> to have some sort of filtering too, but that's not mandatory.

I have been using the contool utility for quite some time, under
SunOS 4.x, and under Solaris 2.5, with CDE and fvwm, fvwm95 as window
managers. I'm extremely pleased with the tool, and it has exactly
all the features, like flashing and filtering, which you ask for.

I'm not aware of any WWW site for contool, but it should be available
on the usual freeware archive sites (e.g., ftp.x.org). You can also

--
Chris van Engelen
| Lucent Technologies                     Phone : +31 35 687 4913    |

| Huizen, The Netherlands                                            |
The last good thing written in C was Schubert's Symphony No. 9

X Console Replacement Source Wanted - Motif, Solaris 2.5

Post by D. E. Ba » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm looking for an X console that will run under Motif on Solaris 2.5.
> Ideally it would also be able to run under FVWM and Linux 2.0.

> I'd like to replace xconsole with something that will be out of
> sight, except for when new console messages appear.  It'd be nice
> to have some sort of filtering too, but that's not mandatory.

> TIA....

We use xcontool which does stay as an icon until a message occurs and has
extensive filtering, too.

David Bath   (to email me remove".nospam")
Optical Networks Systems Engineer   Alcatel Telecom, Richardson, TX
Standard Disclaimers