automount - nfs

Post by Jeffrey Hoo » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 00:18:28

I'm trying to set up nfs and automount on my network...  and having a few
problems:

I have the following in my /etc/exports on the server:

/usr/local/www   192.168.0.*(rw)

in the auto.master on the client:
/mnt/server      /etc/auto.server       --timeout=60

in the auto.server on the client
www    -fstype=nfs,hard,intr      server:/usr/local/www

I can ls the dir fine, but I can't save any edits...  upon looking at the
ll listing (from the client), I see that the user is coming back 501 501,
which is a dev.dev user/group on the server... which the client user is
part of the dev group on the server... but on the client, the uid is 500,
not 501...

I added a group on the client with the same gid as the server, and now it
is coming back 501 dev, and even though the file has 664 perms on it, I
still can't save the file...

I have tried the nosuid option in the auto.server options, but that doesn't
seem to work...

I must be doing something simple wrong, and any help will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
JH

--
Jeffrey Hood
jhood  at (below)

automount - nfs

Post by ToZ » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:35:01

> I'm trying to set up nfs and automount on my network...  and having a
> few problems:

> I have the following in my /etc/exports on the server:

> /usr/local/www   192.168.0.*(rw)

> in the auto.master on the client:
> /mnt/server      /etc/auto.server       --timeout=60

> in the auto.server on the client
> www    -fstype=nfs,hard,intr      server:/usr/local/www

> I can ls the dir fine, but I can't save any edits...  upon looking at
> the ll listing (from the client), I see that the user is coming back 501
> 501, which is a dev.dev user/group on the server... which the client
> user is part of the dev group on the server... but on the client, the
> uid is 500, not 501...

> I added a group on the client with the same gid as the server, and now
> it is coming back 501 dev, and even though the file has 664 perms on it,
> I still can't save the file...

> I have tried the nosuid option in the auto.server options, but that
> doesn't seem to work...

> I must be doing something simple wrong, and any help will be
> appreciated...

> Thanks in advance,
> JH

Basically, you need to have the same uid/gids on each system or use
something like NIS/NIS+ to achieve this.

There are options that you can add to your /etc/exports file on the
server, have a look at 'man exports' in the User ID Mapping area. Maybe
this is all you need depending on your circumstances.

664 permissions indicate that owner(501) has read/write access, group
members (dev) have read/write access, and others have read-only access. On
the client machine, are you a member of this new dev group that you
created? if not, then you will have only read access.

It all goes back to synchronizing uid/gids between machines. If you create
users/groups via command line, you can specify which uid/gid to use (I
don't know if this can be done via GUI as I don't use them) and be able
to synchronize these accounts. But be
careful changing existing uid/gids as you will end up with a mess with
ownership/access to files.

[ ToZ ]

1. RH 6.0, automount NFS exported disks?

How do you set up the automounter for red hat??? I have numerous nfs
exported files systems that I would like to have the automounter take
care of.
Thanks

Cp

--

Johns Hopkins Univ/Applied Physics Lab
Voice: (240) 228-4199

Be careful what you wish, you just may get it.

2. oops with 2.4.13-ac8

3. automount / NFS issue

4. Linux and Win95 File Security

5. automount NFS question

6. Keeping Windows users from destroying Linux

7. automount NFS SuSE 8.2

8. sorry only happeds on this new group Re: #9 Cards, reommend..

9. automounting NFS ...

10. Automount/NFS Mount or Authorize Problem

11. Automounting nfs service from linux server with a Solaris 2.6 machine

12. automounting nfs volumes?

13. Automount nfs phenomenon: RH6.0 -> HPUX10x]