Shot Self in Foot. RH 8.0 Desktop

Post by Ben K » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:38:13

As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a terminal
window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE environment, I can
get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is all boxes, and
therefore unreadable.

Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

Post by Nick Rou » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:53:39

> As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
> the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a terminal
> window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE environment, I can
> get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is all boxes, and
> therefore unreadable.

> Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

> How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

For KDE, rename ~/.kde to something else. It will be recreated next time
root starts KDE with default values. If you miss something important, copy
it back from the renamed directory.

Nick
--
I smell a RANCID CORN DOG!

Post by joseph Phili » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:13:06

> As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
> the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a
> terminal window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE
> environment, I can get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is
> all boxes, and therefore unreadable.

> Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

> How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

Don't run the gui from root.
:)

for gnome, you should have a .gnome directory.
"rm -rf ./.gnome" should wipe it out.

Start the gui/log in to the system

Ofcourse, I am assuming you are not in gnome when you do this ;)

Post by Ben K » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:11:19

> As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
> the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a terminal
> window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE environment, I can
> get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is all boxes, and
> therefore unreadable.

> Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

> How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

 Well I tried moving the .kde and .gnome files in /root, but that had no effect.
Trying to open a terminal window in Gnome still fails on a segmentation
fault, and KDE still comes up with the box font.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Post by Jur » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 17:24:23

>>As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
>>the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a terminal
>>window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE environment, I can
>>get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is all boxes, and
>>therefore unreadable.

>>Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

>>How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

>  Well I tried moving the .kde and .gnome files in /root, but that had no effect.
> Trying to open a terminal window in Gnome still fails on a segmentation
> fault, and KDE still comes up with the box font.

> Anyone else have any ideas?Ben,

 From where did you try to move them? If your text consoles are still
fine try bringing the machine to runlevel 3 (type "init 3" on the
prompt) to stop all X-activities and then try copying some other users
.kde and/or .gnome files to your homedir. Return to graphical with "init 5"

HTH,

Jur

              Remove whatever you like.
    The only spam I can stand requires a can-opener.

Post by Nils Petter Vaskin » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:54:42

> As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
> the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a
> terminal window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE
> environment, I can get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is
> all boxes, and therefore unreadable.

> Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

> How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

Lesson learned: Don't shoot self in foot. Don't carry a loaded gun when
what you need is a hammer.

Meaning don't log in graphically as root unless you have a really good
reason to. You managed to*up root's desktop, had you been a little
more unlucky you could have screwed up the machine completely.

Accepted "best practice" is to log in as a user and use su or sudo when
you need to be root. This minimizes the chance of shooting yourself in
the foot since most of the time your gun isn't loaded. :)

NP

Post by Gre » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:19:35

> > As something of a newbie, I've somehow managed to*up root's use of
> > the desktop. If I log in to a Gnome environment, I cannot open a
> > terminal window, though other apps are fine. If I log into a KDE
> > environment, I can get a terminal, but everything uses a font that is
> > all boxes, and therefore unreadable.

> > Logging in to a user account works fine, as does an su to root.

> > How do I patch this short of a complete re-install?

> Lesson learned: Don't shoot self in foot. Don't carry a loaded gun when
> what you need is a hammer.

> Meaning don't log in graphically as root unless you have a really good
> reason to. You managed to*up root's desktop, had you been a little
> more unlucky you could have screwed up the machine completely.

> Accepted "best practice" is to log in as a user and use su or sudo when
> you need to be root. This minimizes the chance of shooting yourself in
> the foot since most of the time your gun isn't loaded. :)

> NP

I have the exact same problem! Except mine is only on my user name,
not on root.  It happened after I tried to install garnome.

Post by Nils Petter Vaskin » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:31:03

> I have the exact same problem! Except mine is only on my user name, not
> on root.  It happened after I tried to install garnome.

Yes, and now you can try almost anything to fix it since you won't have
to be root and risk screwing your system completely. I would look for
.gnome or something similar and compare that to what's in /etc/skel

NP