Telnet Root Login with Caldera

Post by Jim Hudd » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks,

Got a dumb question but it's kicking me in rear end.

I'm having trouble using the root login during a telnet session.  It
just comes back to the login prompt.  I can log in as a normal user
then su, but sometimes I just need to log in as root at the beginning.

Can some one tell me what I need to set?

Thanks!

Jim

Telnet Root Login with Caldera

Post by John Goerze » Mon, 15 Jun 1998 04:00:00

This is how it's supposed to be.  Telnet lines are normally not secure
(and actually, you should almost never do root stuff over telnet since
it sends your password in cleartext).  It refuses to let you in as
root over telnet since this adds another layer of protection that a
hacker must penetrate to get into your system remotely.

John

--

Developer, Debian GNU/Linux (Free powerful OS upgrade)       www.debian.org |
Visit the Air Capitol Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org

1. slow telnet logins in RH 5.2 (again) vs. Slackware/Caldera

Had the same prob when i installed redhat. But I found a solution! The
telnet login is slow cause when you are trying to connect to the machine it
runs reverse dns on the ip address to get some info on you! And cause it
cant find the dns server it has to wait for a network time out. So put up a
dns server or disable the reverse dns search!

/ACE Alex

2. 4gb of Ram in Redhat 6.2 &7.0

3. can't login as "root" from the lan or telnet

4. RedHat 7.3 won't mount NFS shares

5. how login as root in telnet session

6. [Fwd: Re: rootvg on RAID?]

7. Can' t login as root via telnet

8. CGI returned headers ?

9. How can avoid root login with telnet?

10. Enabling root login via telnet & ftp

11. root login denied over telnet in RH6.0

12. Root login through telnet/rlogin on RH6.1?

13. Can 'root' login through telnet connection?