Apache setup - "network error..."

Post by xiguang li » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have finished setting up Apache 1.2b10 on my pc, trying to run it
locally. The startup of Apache is fine, no error. But when I use
"http://localhost/" to try to get the index file in the document
directory(htdocs/), Netscape gives me the error:

-----------
A network error occured.
Unable to connect to server (TCP Error: Network is unreeachable)
The server may be down or unreachable

Try connecting again later.
-----------

When I am on the net by dip+slirp, the pointer "http://localhost" will
retrieve the "index.html" file on the remote host.

Is this a problem with conf files. I think I have correctly set the
directories for server root and document, etc., as far as I can figure
out. What else I need to consider?

Thanks.

Zhixin
Ottawa, Canada

Apache setup - "network error..."

Post by Peter Verth » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

Do you have a proxy configured when accessing the web ?
If so, make sure that localhost is mentioned in the line
"No proxy for...".  This took me a full day to find :-)

:
: Hi,
:
: -----------
[...]

"No proxy for...".  This took me a whole day to find :-)

(Note: I forgot to sign my first reply.  Sorry for that)
Peter Verthez                                       Software Engineer

This post is personal and not related to any company whatsoever.
The best angle to approach any problem is the try-angle.

:
: Hi,
:
[...]

1. Apache setup - "network error..."

From cunews!rideau.carleton.ca!not-for-mail Sun May  4 07:46:17 1997

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Apache setup - "network error..."
Date: 4 May 1997 11:42:44 GMT

[...]

2. Dual nic (eepro100) problem?

4. new kernel build won't boot

6. Memory: 2GB

7. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

8. HPT374 controller

9. An addition to the "Failed CGI" and "Error Log for Apache" threads

10. ERRORS: "telnetd: all network ports in use", "no ptys" etc

11. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

12. menu cleanup: "Networking support" -> "Networking options"

13. APACHE Error: "Signaling Error: error already pending"