QUESTION: transferring files between file systems???

QUESTION: transferring files between file systems???

Post by George Sh » Wed, 14 Sep 1994 14:48:19

Hello everyone,

What would be the most efficient way to transfer files from a single file
system in drive X to multiple file system in drive Y???

More specifically I have:

/dev/hdb2 whose mount point is at a / (root) (i know... dumb...)

and I would like to transfer entire file system to a different drive (SCSI)
which has multiple filesystems (finally...), /dev/sda2, /dev/sda5 to
/dev/sda14 with various mount points. /dev/sda2 will be mounted at root with
boot Linux kernel, vmlinuz.

I would like to AVOID re-installing the Linux software if i can.  I DO have
a complete backup of /dev/hdb2 filesystem on a tape (4mm) and I should be
able to simply restore (via tar...) to SCSI unit.

If I can just do these transfers, I can tell LILO to boot from /dev/sda2
rather than /dev/hdb2.....

Oh well, thanks everyone in advance...

- george

PS Is there something i can do with /etc/fstab, i.e. first copy just the
   necessary files manually to root in /dev/sda2 and unmount /dev/hdb2
   then re-mount from new SCSI file systems.  Would using tar now sort
   of fool Linux in restoring to SCSI drive since /dev/hdb2 has been
   unmounted??? Hmmmm...

1. QUESTION: transferring files between file systems???

[...]

2. New in Red Hat Linux 7.3

3. Gif package to display data

4. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

5. riva tnt2

6. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

7. Linux vs. NetBSD

8. Files and the file system standard (questions)

9. Real file stats for file on a compressed file system

10. /var file system <==> /usr file system

11. copy umsdos file system to ext2 file system

12. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?