/dev/hda16 creation help

/dev/hda16 creation help

Post by prsc.. » Wed, 01 May 2002 10:42:01



A "Rather Newbie" question:

I have Suse 7.0 installed and also have what would be 16 partitions.  I cannot
access "hda16" and am told that it does not exist.

In the directory /dev, the block devices only go up to /dev/hda15.  I think
that I need to create a   /dev/hda16.  I have search the documentation and
cannot find how to do this.

Can someone help or direct me to something I should read.

Thanks

Paul

Direct Email remove "Z"

 
 
 

/dev/hda16 creation help

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 01 May 2002 10:37:16



> A "Rather Newbie" question:

> I have Suse 7.0 installed and also have what would be 16 partitions.
> I cannot access "hda16" and am told that it does not exist.

> In the directory /dev, the block devices only go up to /dev/hda15.  I
> think
> that I need to create a   /dev/hda16.  I have search the documentation
> and cannot find how to do this.

# ls -l /dev/hda*

and note the major number associated with each of them.  On my system
it is 3.

# mknod /dev/hda16 b 3 16

produces the device.

Now read the man page for mknod to see what each of those things mean.

% man mknod

 
 
 

/dev/hda16 creation help

Post by Tony Curti » Wed, 01 May 2002 10:40:00


>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:37:16 -0500,


>> A "Rather Newbie" question:

>> I have Suse 7.0 installed and also have what would be
>> 16 partitions.  I cannot access "hda16" and am told
>> that it does not exist.

>> In the directory /dev, the block devices only go up to
>> /dev/hda15.  I think that I need to create a
>> /dev/hda16.  I have search the documentation and cannot
>> find how to do this.
> # ls -l /dev/hda*
> and note the major number associated with each of them.
> On my system it is 3.
> # mknod /dev/hda16 b 3 16
> produces the device.

Note also the MAKEDEV script in /dev.

    # cd /dev
    # ./MAKEDEV hda

would create the device files.  It built up to hda20 on my
Slackware 8.0 system.

hth
t
--
Wait up guys!  I've gotta empty my grass bag.

 
 
 

/dev/hda16 creation help

Post by prsc.. » Wed, 01 May 2002 11:36:32


THANKS!!!! for the quick responses and what I should read - WILL DO!


>>> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:37:16 -0500,


>>> A "Rather Newbie" question:

>>> I have Suse 7.0 installed and also have what would be
>>> 16 partitions.  I cannot access "hda16" and am told
>>> that it does not exist.

>>> In the directory /dev, the block devices only go up to
>>> /dev/hda15.  I think that I need to create a
>>> /dev/hda16.  I have search the documentation and cannot
>>> find how to do this.

>> # ls -l /dev/hda*

>> and note the major number associated with each of them.
>> On my system it is 3.

>> # mknod /dev/hda16 b 3 16

>> produces the device.

>Note also the MAKEDEV script in /dev.

>    # cd /dev
>    # ./MAKEDEV hda

>would create the device files.  It built up to hda20 on my
>Slackware 8.0 system.

>hth
>t
>--
>Wait up guys!  I've gotta empty my grass bag.

 
 
 

/dev/hda16 creation help

Post by Skylar Thompso » Thu, 02 May 2002 05:04:46



Quote:> A "Rather Newbie" question:

> I have Suse 7.0 installed and also have what would be 16 partitions.  I cannot
> access "hda16" and am told that it does not exist.

> In the directory /dev, the block devices only go up to /dev/hda15.  I think
> that I need to create a   /dev/hda16.  I have search the documentation and
> cannot find how to do this.

> Can someone help or direct me to something I should read.

# mknod /dev/hda16 b 3 16

As for reading, Documentation/devices.txt in the kernel source tree has
major/minor device node combinations listed.

--