Support for OpenWindows in Linux: How much?

Support for OpenWindows in Linux: How much?

Post by Jeff Arnho » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 03:20:44

I am confused by the presence of Openwindows windows
manager and tools (like textedit) in Linux.  Has OpenWindows
always been public domain?  How much of OpenWindows is
supported in Linux (ie, which apps are available: mailtool?
answerbook?  etc).  What does Sun have to gain by making
this available if they funded the research?

Right now, my home PC looks and works almost identical to my office
Sparcstation.  It seems like Sun is shooting themselves
in the foot.

---

Mayo Medical and Graduate Schools
200 1st St. SW, Rochester, MN 55905

Post by Kai Petz » Sun, 18 Sep 1994 18:45:24

>I am confused by the presence of Openwindows windows
>manager and tools (like textedit) in Linux.  Has OpenWindows
>always been public domain?  How much of OpenWindows is
>supported in Linux (ie, which apps are available: mailtool?
>answerbook?  etc).  What does Sun have to gain by making
>this available if they funded the research?

Writing a software, and releasing it into the open can be a good
marketing.  Of course, you never will give away all your software.
In case of OpenWindows, the libraries and some basic tools are
free.  Unfortunately, they could not compete against Motiv.

Microsoft uses similiar technics.  They give away lots of docs
on CDROM for very few money, so do they with MS-DOS.  But then,
unlike Sun, they do not do so in the open.

Quote:>Right now, my home PC looks and works almost identical to my office
>Sparcstation.  It seems like Sun is shooting themselves
>in the foot.

Sun has already earned money with OpenWindows, because they sold
more Sparcstations, than they would have without.

Kai
--
Kai Petzke                      | How fast can computers get?
Technical University of Berlin  |

Post by Alan C » Tue, 20 Sep 1994 20:02:24

>always been public domain?  How much of OpenWindows is
>supported in Linux (ie, which apps are available: mailtool?
>answerbook?  etc).  What does Sun have to gain by making
>this available if they funded the research?

Why not ask Sun. My guess is that like NFS they wanted to make OpenLook
a standard. Someone (I forget who) once said: 'I don't want a bigger slice
of the pie, I want bigger pies...'.

Alan

--