graphics (X, SVGATextMode, DOSEMU) fail

Post by Dustin Purye » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

For some reason any program that attempts to use graphics fails. I have
Caldera OpenLinux 1.3. If I run dosemu-0.98.5 with graphics support it
crashes. If I run SVGATextMode it gives me a seg fault. If I run X windows
I get:

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

However, I can set the video mode to 80x43 by adding vga=2 in
/etc/lilo.conf. Anyway, this all happened after I recompiled the kernel
(2.0.35). Any ideas?

--
Dustin Puryear

1. DOSEMU + SVGATextMode = Bust Monitor

The subject-line says it all:  Essentially, I seem to have a conflict
between the video mode set up by SVGATextMode and the 80x25 mode set up
by the emulator.  If I try switching VC's, or exit the emulator, my video
mode becomes corrupted.  I got around this by blindly running
SVGATextMode again, which worked fine until my monitor finally packed it
in...

  I've learned (the hard way) from this experience, and now no longer use
SVGATextMode when I run the emulator.  I've played around with direct
port access, and the graphics enable section of /etc/dosemu.conf.  None
of these give satisfactory results.

  As an aside, I'm using a Cirrus card on an ELF-based system.  A
previous Trident 8900 card worked without problem.

  Any-one experience the same and have a fix for it?
Jeremy Gill                          | Office: ABB-150 x27224

2. What would you *like* to see in a pro-Linux article?

3. DosEmu/SVGATextMode not happy together

4. Archive 2150L Tape Drive & Linux 2.0.x

5. Getting SVGATextMode to work with Nanao+ATI Graphics Pro Turbo

6. want a QWK reader for Linux

7. Dosemu graphics with Stealth64?

8. Backup error # meanings???

9. VGA graphics in DOSEMU

10. dosemu and ATI Graphics Ultra

11. How to enable VGA graphics in an X Window in DOSEMU?

12. DOSEMU Problem: Why is X support so choppy and no graphics?

13. DOSEMU graphics in X-Windows?