server init: Id "d2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

server init: Id "d2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Post by Core » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having a constant message in my console as well as in /var/log/messages

> In my log file, the following message is constantly repeating:
> server init: Id "d2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> In my console screen in my X display,
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: n: No such file or directory
> INIT: Id "d2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Hey there,

        Look in '/etc/inittab' . Search for a line that begins with d2.
        Comment it out ( by appending a '#' in front ), save the changes
        then do a 'init q' as root on the command line - this will
        get rid of the constant annoying msgs. Then you can go back and
        look at the command the d2 entry in your inittab is starting and
        decipher what the problem is.

        Feel free to post the d2 entry if your still unable to figure
        out what the problem is. I'm guessing it's invoking a script
        which either doesn't exist or is buggy. Once/if you make any
        changes to this file, remember to do an 'init q' on the command
        line as root to re-read the inittab file which will make the
        changes applicable.

        Hope that helps!

Beers,

Corey

server init: Id "d2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Post by Clifford Ki » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

There will be a line beginning with d2 in your /etc/inittab that is for a
dial up getty.  I had the same thing happen when I increased the speed in
this line but failed to match the speed of the associated /dev/ttyS? to
the new.  As an example this is a line for uugetty from my /etc/inittab:

d3:2:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -d /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS2 ttyS2 38400 vt100 LDISC0

where 38400 specifies the initial speed for uugetty to try on connection.
This is associated with speed configuration in /etc/gettydefs for uugetty
and other gettys will configure speed in different ways.  It is likely that
there will be one or more speeds in this inittab line however.

Do "stty < /dev/ttySx" for the device ttySx mentioned in your inittab d2
line to find out the speed set for the device.  If it is lower than the
maximum speed nnnnn in your inittab d2 line then "stty nnnnn < /dev/ttySx"
will set the ttySx speed to nnnnn and may resolve the respawn problem.

===

--
Clifford Kite                                                 Not a guru. (tm)