Complex Makefiles, what to read to understand enough the tar.ball installations

Complex Makefiles, what to read to understand enough the tar.ball installations

Post by Slava Zimin » Mon, 31 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello.

I have found it difficult to find on Linux LDP pages docs which
explain well in details how an average .src.tar.gz packages is
fabricated and what is going on during it's installation.
I would like to be able to understand how a program's object files are
dynamically linked with that bunch of libraries in /usr/lib, /lib/,
/usr/X11R6/lib and what to do if one library is missed, etc.

I guess this subject is more unix then linux and that I should check
for a good book on gcc and make.
Could you give me pointers to books and online docs on this subject?
Thank you sincerely.
Slava

--
***********************************

Complex Makefiles, what to read to understand enough the tar.ball installations

Post by Jean-Paul Le Fevr » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Check this page :
http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/index.html

Jean-Paul Le Fevre                      http://www.mygale.org/~lefevre

Post by friedhelm.mehn.. » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

: I guess this subject is more unix then linux and that I should check
: for a good book on gcc and make.
: Could you give me pointers to books and online docs on this subject?

If you just need an overview, about how things work, have a look
at "Running Linux". It has a chapter about using the c compiler
and make, and it's good to have anyway, so it's not a waste to buy
it.

If you need more in depth documentation, the gnu manuals for gcc
make, the c library and so on are available on line in postscript form.
Maybe they are even included with the distribution.
They are outdatet by far, but still useful.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"