Partition Magic vs. System Commander

Post by Stev » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi:

>Does anyone have any good or bad stories about either of these products.
>They both apparently support partitioning for a variety of O/S's and boot
>Win95 on a 4.3 Gb IDE hard-drive (already installed), and adding a 10-13 Gb
>IDE hard-drive that will have partitions for WinNT4.0, Linux, and the
>Intel-compatible versions of Solaris7.  Does anyone know any helpful info?
>Please respond via email as well as posting here?

I tried System Commander and had serious problems that took a long
time to solve.  Based on what I've read, such problems are unusual,
but not impossible.  It's always wise to make backups prior to messing
around with partitions.

I am currently using boot magic as my boot manager with great success.
I had been using LILO as my boot manager with no problems, but prefer
to be able to choose what OS to load with a mouse an/or arrow keys
rather than typing (and misspelling) the name(s).  To switch to boot
magic, I moved LILO from the MBR to the Linux partition, and then
installed boot magic (I did make sure I had a working boot floppy
before trying though!).

I haven't actually moved/resized/created any partitions with PM4 yet,
although it does recognize all the partitions on my drive.  I did have
great success with PM3, however.

-Steve

*The only thing certain about the future is that it hasn't happened yet.*

Post by John Forkos » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Does anyone have any good or bad stories about either of these products.
>>They both apparently support partitioning for a variety of O/S's and boot

snip

Quote:> I tried System Commander and had serious problems that took a long
> time to solve.

Exactly what problems?
Quote:> Based on what I've read, such problems are unusual,
> but not impossible.

Based on my experience, problems are _never_ impossible (:).

Quote:> It's always wise to make backups prior to messing
> around with partitions.

I've used System Commander on various machines with no problems.
I haven't used its (new) partitioning functions, but have used
fips to repartition fat and vfat partitions (works fine _after_
you carefully read its docs).  The usual situation is setting up
a new machine with Windows pre-installed and taking up the
entire disk on a single partition.  I usually want to leave
the Windows option for the user, but want Linux to boot up
default.

Quote:> I am currently using boot magic as my boot manager with great success.
> I had been using LILO as my boot manager with no problems, but prefer
> to be able to choose what OS to load with a mouse an/or arrow keys
> rather than typing (and misspelling) the name(s).  To switch to boot
> magic, I moved LILO from the MBR to the Linux partition, and then
> installed boot magic (I did make sure I had a working boot floppy
> before trying though!).

I'd certainly prefer a free/open_source boot manager to a commercial
one.  It's not so much the money, but more importantly the
"administrative overhead" required to make sure everything's legal.
I've frequently had to wait several weeks while administrative
paperwork flowed through its natural course.  These "bottlenecks"
reflected poorly on Linux in the users' minds, even though the
problem clearly had nothing to do with Linux (in my mind).
I think this is an under-appreciated problem that Linux solves,
i.e., not so much that it's free, but that by being free you
don't have to go through the administrative time and trouble
of purchasing it legally.

Post by David Sis » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi:

Does anyone have any good or bad stories about either of these products.
They both apparently support partitioning for a variety of O/S's and boot
Win95 on a 4.3 Gb IDE hard-drive (already installed), and adding a 10-13 Gb
IDE hard-drive that will have partitions for WinNT4.0, Linux, and the
Intel-compatible versions of Solaris7.  Does anyone know any helpful info?
Please respond via email as well as posting here?

Thanks and regards,

--
David C. Sisk
http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/ORACLEonNT.htm

1. System commander vs Partition Magic

Is there anything to choose from between System Commander Deluxe and
Partition Magic?  Why would I buy one over the other??  Is there anything
fundamental that one has that the other does not?

(I understand SCD started out as a boot manager that added partition
resizing and PM started out at a partitioning tool that assed a boot
manager.)

If it makes a difference,  I am about to install NT and Linux on top of a
Win98 installation on my new laptop (a thikpad 600E).  I want to keep all
three OSs.

Any enlightement greatly appreciated.

--
Michael Godfrey, Univ of Waterloo, Dept of CS

2. Question on stat: What's the diff.bet. change and modification?

3. System Commander 2000 vs. Partition Magic

4. Does Gnome add user gdm?

5. system commander or partition magic?

6. PPP Server failed (shadow)passwd auth. pap secrets works

7. Install Linux with System Commander and Partition Magic

8. U2W Card???

9. Red Hat Linux and either Partition Magic or System Commander?

10. System Commander Deluxe/Partition Magic Compatability

11. Partition Magic & System Commander grief with >8 Gbyte drive

12. Partition Magic or System Commander?

13. Dual OS: System Commander or Partition Magic?