Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by John Bro » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I purchased this package from a local bookstore. It appears to be a reasonable
>package with two manuals and two CD-ROMS.

[...]

I saw this just yesterday.  It looked fairly well put together (by
Springer-Verlag), and it claimed to be totally done up in ELF (which I
guess is a Good Thing).  In particular, the kernal version is said to
be 1.2.X.  So, X = ???.  Basically I want to know whether this is a
high quality Linux distribution, and whether I should consider buying
it.  Any opinions?

--
John Brock

Post by T.E.Dick » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >I purchased this package from a local bookstore. It appears to be a reasonable
: >package with two manuals and two CD-ROMS.
: [...]
thin book, 2 cd-roms. $40

I got the 4 cdrom linux developer's set from microcenter for $15.

: I saw this just yesterday.  It looked fairly well put together (by
: Springer-Verlag), and it claimed to be totally done up in ELF (which I
: guess is a Good Thing).  In particular, the kernal version is said to
: be 1.2.X.  So, X = ???.  Basically I want to know whether this is a
: high quality Linux distribution, and whether I should consider buying
: it.  Any opinions?
My impression was that it was made in january, and is kind of old (and
expensive compared to the other distributions).

--
Thomas E.*ey

Post by Daniel J. Mash » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I saw this just yesterday.  It looked fairly well put together (by
> Springer-Verlag), and it claimed to be totally done up in ELF (which I
> guess is a Good Thing).  In particular, the kernal version is said to
> be 1.2.X.  So, X = ???.  Basically I want to know whether this is a
> high quality Linux distribution, and whether I should consider buying
> it.  Any opinions?

Firstly the X = 00.. I use it at home and it seem to work okay. I have never
been able to compile a higher a higher version of Linux. The compiler complains
about ELF this and that - in other words its a pain.
If I knew better when I bought the book a month ago, I would have bought a
different CD-distributions with newer kernel (X == 8 to 10). The book can
help you get started but its not so useful if you know Unix, and marginal
if you don't. Someone has been advertising 1.2.10 for $10 plus shipping
on the Net - that may be the cost effective choice. - Good Luck
--
/************************************************************************/

Post by Stefan Strob » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: I saw this just yesterday.  It looked fairly well put together (by
>: Springer-Verlag), and it claimed to be totally done up in ELF (which I
>: guess is a Good Thing).  In particular, the kernal version is said to
>: be 1.2.X.  So, X = ???.  Basically I want to know whether this is a
>: high quality Linux distribution, and whether I should consider buying
>: it.  Any opinions?

the kernel is 1.2.1

Quote:>My impression was that it was made in january, and is kind of old (and
>expensive compared to the other distributions).

It was made Feb / March.

Just some information. It differs in some very important ways from (as
far as I know) all the other distributions :

- filecache (this means you don't have to choose between copying all
files to your HD or having the low speed CD. The filecache
automatically copies the files you access to your HD)

- includes xadmin - a tool written by Rainer Maurer for Universe which
lets you administer and configure your system under X and with the
mouse

Apart from that it includes many preconfigured programs, and has many
nice features you will discover when working with Linux Universe -
networking binaries with socks support, works automatically with or
without shadow passwords, better dynamic boot-manager ...

Stefan

Xlink PoP Heilbronn            voice: +49 7131 594 146

Post by Jeff Bau » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Just some information. It differs in some very important ways from (as
>far as I know) all the other distributions :

>- filecache (this means you don't have to choose between copying all
>files to your HD or having the low speed CD. The filecache
>automatically copies the files you access to your HD)

  Linux-FT from Lasermoon offers copy-cache capability by
  default.  I'd be interested to know if these distributions
  share a common heritage.

  Jeff Bauer
  Medical Support Services, Inc.

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by MARK ROBERT HAL » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I found the distribution in this book very interesting,
but not useful for production in my environment. It was
unclear to me precisely what was a "sufficient" number
of packages to install before I could run fully from
the Harddrive (I need my cdrom for other useful things,
like listening to music while I work...). This distribution
seems built particularly for those who want to run from
the CD and have limited harddisk space.

That said, the isntallation and xadmin tools were great
(setting up both X11R6 and printing and other things that
at least for me were a struggle over the years of Linux
installing I've done). And it was nice that it was in ELF
format -- it allowed me to play around with the future...
I've recommended it to a few friends with limited HD
space who've been thinking about toying with Linux. That
would seem to be its primary usefulness.

Mark

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by Van Dung L » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I've got a 286 system and wonder if it could be used as a dumb terminal that would hook up
to my p90 with linux installed. Using the Alt something or rather key combo I know you can
run multiple sessions of Linux ... is what I have in mind possible?
 Thanks.

Van Dung Ly

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by Carsten Braeutiga » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

No problem. Read Serial-HOWTO, chapter 8.3 "Notes on setting up a PC
as a Terminal". Works pretty fine.

Carsten.
---

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by Daniel J. Mash » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Someone posted instructions on how to compile Linux 1.2.1 form the Linux
Universe CD. The intructions worked flawlessly except the new kernel cannot
be loaded it gives the following error messages
        ext2.GetInode: cannot read inode 106434
        ext2.open("D:2/vmlinuz"): cannot read inode for "D:2/vmlinuz"

Anybody knows what may be the cause of these problems. Will a higher
kernel be better?
--
/************************************************************************/

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by Zane Hea » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I've got a 286 system and wonder if it could be used as a dumb

terminal that would hook up
Quote:>to my p90 with linux installed. Using the Alt something or rather key

combo I know you can

Quote:>run multiple sessions of Linux ... is what I have in mind possible?
> Thanks.

>Van Dung Ly

  Nothing is easier, just get a null-modem cable, and a comm program
for the 286.  You'll have to change a file on your Linux box to let the
system know that you have a terminal on that serial line (sorry I don't
remember the file off the top of my head).
  I did the same thing with the 486 Linux system I had about 3 years
ago, except I used a laptop.

                Zane

Post by Jason Christi » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>I've got a 286 system and wonder if it could be used as a dumb
>terminal that would hook up
>>to my p90 with linux installed.

>  Nothing is easier, just get a null-modem cable, and a comm program
>for the 286.  You'll have to change a file on your Linux box to let the
>system know that you have a terminal on that serial line (sorry I don't
>remember the file off the top of my head).
>  I did the same thing with the 486 Linux system I had about 3 years
>ago, except I used a laptop.

OK, I have a 486 Linux, with my office's sole ethernet connection.  My
officemate now logs onto the so-called mainframe for his econometrics
using a (arggh) 1200 baud modem, which aggravates him and ties up my
telephone.  So...could he null-modem cable onto the serial line of my
box?  Then he could telnet or rlogin onto the alpha upstairs, and I
could use my phone line for other purposes...

Jason Christian                             Agricultural Economics

Office:(916)752-1357    FAX:(916)752-5614   Davis, CA 95616

Post by Frank van de P » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I've got a 286 system and wonder if it could be used as a dumb terminal that would hook up
: to my p90 with linux installed. Using the Alt something or rather key combo I know you can
: run multiple sessions of Linux ... is what I have in mind possible?
:  Thanks.

: Van Dung Ly

If you like to run multiple sessions, you should really go for the 'NCSA telnet'
package. It's a very versatile and fast vt emulator that supports multiple
sessions, and has a build-in tcp/ip stack. It's reasonable small, it fits on
one 360kB floppy. I've even used it on a original IBM XT pc, where it gave a
good performance (with old $0.01 8-bit Novell NE-1000 card).

I can't remember where I got it from, a good place to look for it is the
Simtel archive.

Frank.

--
========================---------------->
#define NAME    "Frank van de Pol"     /| L:  a typical DOS PC boot sequence:

  "Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

Linux Universe -- any good? (Was: Problems with Linux Universe)

Post by Michael Schmi » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >
: >I've got a 286 system and wonder if it could be used as a dumb
: terminal that would hook up
: >to my p90 with linux installed. Using the Alt something or rather key
: combo I know you can
: >run multiple sessions of Linux ... is what I have in mind possible?
What you have in mind is the multiple console sessions on the Linux box
console terminal. Hooking up the 286 over a serial terminal line will give
you _1_ session over that line, not more, if you use the standard comm
software for modems etc.

:   Nothing is easier, just get a null-modem cable, and a comm program
: for the 286.  You'll have to change a file on your Linux box to let the
: system know that you have a terminal on that serial line (sorry I don't
: remember the file off the top of my head).
The file should be /etc/ttys, there are the console ttys (tty0-8) ini it
and at least template entries for serial devices.

If you want to use more than one session on the AT box you will have to
a) install some TCP/IP package on this box,
b) configure the serial IP driver (SLIP or PPP) for it,
c) configure the Linux box to allow for SLIP/PPP connection to the AT
   (may be done on logins over the serial line, or hardwired)

Of course you need a TCP/IP stack to be configured for the Linux box, and
assign IP adresses to both computers. (see net-howto's)

Hope it helps; more info should be in the appropriate newsgroup :-)

        Michael

1. LINUX UNIVERSE -LINUX IN ELF FORMAT

Today i went to my local bookshop(ROSEDALE MPLS MN) and found in the comp.
section they had dedicated a whole shelf to linux and had about 6 or 7
types of books and among them was LINUX UNIVERSE BY STEFAN AND UHL
packaged with a
cdrom. The cdrom is a 1.2.x release completely in the new ELF
format(System 5 Excutable linking format), has  a X gui administration
tool( the best in l have seen for linux). IMHO this is a better deal then
Slackware even thoug you only get one cdrom it has almost every thing l
will need for linux(unix) as a linux babie,it even has a gui boot
manager.Paid 34.95 +tax. rushed home removed slackware 2.1 from HD and
install the new one .It even allowed me to install on top of dos
filesystem using the umsdos.

Check it if you want to upgrade from linux release  slackware 2.1
release1.59.x   and want to  1.2.x

  Ed

2. Samba or VisionFS - which is best?

3. Help on Linux Universe CD set please..To all you Linux GURUS out there

4. PCI Network cards with Redhat??????????

5. Linux Universe kit installation problem

6. Zeus SSL

7. Problem with Linux Universe 2nd edition install.

8. Logging user logins

9. Linux Universe--still problems...

10. Install Linux Universe--Problem!!!

11. Linux Universe install problems?