Adaptec 2742T: Anything at all???

Post by James P Gurgan » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 04:57:20

I have an Adaptec 2742T controller a Toshiba 3401 CD-ROM, a 340 meg hard
drive and soon, a 230 MB MO drive.

Can I do anything with Linux at all?  Forgive my possible ignorance about
this.  I've heard no AIC-7770 drivers exist yet.  Will Linux use BIOS
calls?  DOS doesn't need drivers unless I want to use the CD-ROM, etc,
right?

Basically, can I install Linux?  And if so, will I be able to use the
CD-ROM or MO?  I'm willing to sacrifice the utility of those devices if I
can at least get Linux running.

Thanks for any info!

--
James Gurganus

Post by David F » Fri, 03 Jun 1994 08:42:45

Quote:James P Gurganus writes:

] I have an Adaptec 2742T controller a Toshiba 3401 CD-ROM, a 340 meg hard
] drive and soon, a 230 MB MO drive.
]
] Can I do anything with Linux at all?

If your 340 Meg hard drive is IDE, yes.  Otherwise, no.
--
David Fox                                               xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab                     baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

1. Adaptec 2742T bootdisk

This is my first post to comp.os.linux.help.  I've been following along
with the updates to the 2742T driver and their subsequent bootdisks,
however, I still can't get anything to work.  The bootdisk with version 3
of the driver would hang when it detected the card and its settings.
The bootdisk with version 4 detects my card, all the settings, but, it
doesn't detect any hard drive devices.  During bootup it says the card's
BIOS is successfully installed, so that's not the problem.

I have a 340Mb Seagate Fast-SCSI harddrive on channel A.  I have a
Toshiba 3401 and a Fujitsu DynaMO 230 on Channel B.  I know channel B
is supposed to be ignored, but I tried unplugging them and it still
didn't work.

Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions?  I haven't been having much
luck making a bootdisk on another machine.  I can compile the kernel,
but my bootdisk attempts don't boot. =)

If someone could send me some friendly step-by-step instructions on
making a slackware bootdisk with a custom kernel, I'd greatly appreciate
it.  I tried following the instructions in the slackware distribution, but
I'm still doing something wrong.  I'm not a UNIX newbie, but I'm not
a kernel-programmer either. 8)

I'd REALLY like to get Linux installed on this machine...

Thanks...

--
James Gurganus

2. System Mgmnt Disk for 40P

3. Adaptec 2742T an Linux ?

4. What's the deal with "csh"?

5. S: Linux an Adaptec 2742T ?

6. XF86Config for Dell P90 with #9GXE Card?

7. Adaptec 2742T driver...almost there

8. New Version

9. What about the adaptec 2742T

10. Q: Is there a driver for the Adaptec 2742T SCSI Controller?

11. Adaptec AHA-2742T EISA SCSI-II ?help?

12. What about the adaptec 2742T