problem with SCSI on LINUX.

Post by Klimes Georg » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

--

I am having a problem of unknow origin with my SCSI HD's,
and would appreciate anybody who can shed a light into
 this dilemma.
 I bought a SCSI  HD Seagate ST32272W (Baraccuda, this alias is
perhaps grammatically incorrect) and wanted to add it to already existing
 two of the same kind (SCSI ID 0 and 1)
 I was advised to place this new HD between these two and assign it
 SCSI ID 1. (at this point , the SCSI ID 1 has been taken over  by the new
HD.
 the old one got ID 2). I was also advised to terminate the SCSI bus on HD
ID  0.
     I use SCSI cabel with six connectors the first one  for the adapter
 the last one for external terminator ; in between SCSI HDs.
 I am running RedHat Linux  2.0.30 on Alpha pc 164 xl with
 CPU digital alpha 466 MHz , RAM 128 Mb and Adaptec
  AHA-2940 SCSI  UW controller.
   The bus is 16 bit  and uses 68 pin connectors.
  To visualize the entire setup whe have

    AHA-----------HD ID2-------------HD ID1(the new HD)----------HD ID0
-----empty
    connetcor--------external terminator

  Now , the problem is that
 I am not able to boot Linux. During the bootstrapping I get to the
 point, where in runlevel 1,the init(this is only my assumption)
 attempts to read the root file system , here's what i get

Partition check:
 Sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
 Sdb:
 Sdc: sdc1 sdc2
 VFS: Mounted root (ext2 fs) ro
  init: memory violation at pc=120001c14  rp=120001b08 (bad address
=00000000)
  init: PANIC; segmentation violation!!! giving up.

  I also get some other bizzare messages:

   VFS disk change detected on dev 2/0
  end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00, sector 0

   Error: failed to open dev 0x0200 (result= -6)
   Failed to load the kernel

   ext2_ mount  bad magic 0x17cl

 I've been pulling out my hair on this for two days , tried any possible
 combination of IDs, setting up jumpers and termination on both the
 HDs and externally ont the SCSI bus, nothing worked.
  Maybe the problem is somewhere else. But where ???

 I'll be very grateful for ANY response . Thx