sendmail - help please

Post by Lui » Wed, 07 May 2003 21:12:22

have a few questions.  Hopefully you will be able to help.

I am also new to Linux.  i have installed red hat 8.0 on a box.  It
will host  mail through an adsl router/modem.

I need help with setting up sendmail and help with learning about how
it works.  I have been on the sendmail home page and i still do not
understand.

This is my setup in the office.  Can you tell me the steps i need to
do to setup sendmail please?

i have a linux box with red hat 8.0 installed.  It will be attached to
the modem/router.   I have my own domain called NDesigns.com.au.  The
other box is a windows 2000 workstation.  Do i make the linux box the
primary dns server and the windows 2000 workstation the secondary dns
server?  Where do i configure this on the linux box?  On the linux box
do i configure the mx record as per the following and where do i
configure this mx record in linux?
eg. NDesigns.com.au      IN   MX   10  NDesigns.Ndesigns.com.au

Sendmail is installed on the linux box.  How do i create the virtual
user table?  What else do i need to setup?  The document Virtual
hosting with sendmail is not very clear to me.

How do i get my windows 2000 workstation to read and send mail?  How
do i get my linux box to send and read mail?

Hope you can help me.

thanks

sendmail - help please

Post by Your na » Thu, 08 May 2003 04:50:05

First off, you are mixing DNS/BIND with sendmail , they are 2 seperate
items.

I suggest going to www.alltheweb.com and searching for "sendmail
primer" , then picking the one which seems best for you.

Also, get the sendmail ("Bat") book from O'Reily.

sendmail - help please

Post by Synfle » Thu, 08 May 2003 21:35:28

Quote:> have a few questions.  Hopefully you will be able to help.

> I am also new to Linux.  i have installed red hat 8.0 on a box.  It
> will host  mail through an adsl router/modem.

> I need help with setting up sendmail and help with learning about how
> it works.  I have been on the sendmail home page and i still do not
> understand.

If you couldn't understand those, then you really should not use sendmail
for mail servers.

Quote:> This is my setup in the office.  Can you tell me the steps i need to
> do to setup sendmail please?

This might not be relavant, but, may I suggest that for a newbie, and when
you
need to setup a mail server, try to avoid sendmail.

You can get qmail+vpopmail+vqadmin, then you'll have something graphical
for you to work on.

Quote:> i have a linux box with red hat 8.0 installed.  It will be attached to
> the modem/router.   I have my own domain called NDesigns.com.au.  The
> other box is a windows 2000 workstation.  Do i make the linux box the
> primary dns server and the windows 2000 workstation the secondary dns
> server?  Where do i configure this on the linux box?  On the linux box
> do i configure the mx record as per the following and where do i
> configure this mx record in linux?
> eg. NDesigns.com.au      IN   MX   10  NDesigns.Ndesigns.com.au

On the same subnet or location, you'll only need one domain name servers,

If you don't have static IP, then you should not use your machine for DNS
hosting.

You will have to run a version of DNS for doman name hosting, usually ISC
BIND, or called named. http://www.isc.org

Set MX record in named.conf as per manual says so. infact, you do not
need to set MX record of machine ndesigns.com.au is receiving mails for
ndesigns.com.au.

Quote:> Sendmail is installed on the linux box.  How do i create the virtual
> user table?  What else do i need to setup?  The document Virtual
> hosting with sendmail is not very clear to me.

> How do i get my windows 2000 workstation to read and send mail?  How
> do i get my linux box to send and read mail?

Configure to receive from pop3 on mail server, and send on port 25 on mail
server, in short, once you have it set up by then, you should know by then.

Quote:> Hope you can help me.

--
Diclof.
s y n f l e x ( a t ) g a m e b o x ( d o t ) n e t