Using NT's boot loader to boot linux?

Post by stev » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to use NT's boot loader on /dev/hda1 to boot to linux
on /dev/hdb1? What setting should I put in the boot.ini file, as it
doesn't seem to be documented at all.
Thanks.

-Steve

Post by Nutscap » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to use NT's boot loader on /dev/hda1 to boot to linux
> on /dev/hdb1? What setting should I put in the boot.ini file, as it
> doesn't seem to be documented at all.
> Thanks.

> -Steve

Yes, it's possible. Look up "bootpart" on any search engine. This
program will do the dirty work for you. I didn't fool with it, I put
LILO on the MBR of hda. I just type "dos" at the prompt and it takes me
to the NT loader. But....my hda is three partitions;

DOS  primary set active FAT  250mbs
Extended FAT 1gig with
250 FAT logical
750 NT with NTFS logical

hdb is all Linux.

I don't know if this would work with the primary active being NTFS.

Post by Rod Roar » Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to use NT's boot loader on /dev/hda1 to boot to linux
> on /dev/hdb1? What setting should I put in the boot.ini file, as it
> doesn't seem to be documented at all.
> Thanks.

> -Steve

Sure. http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

-- Rod

Sunset Systems                            http://www.sunsetsystems.com

Preconfigured Linux Machines by Mail Order            Visa/MC Accepted

1. NT4.0 and Linux - how to dual-boot using NT's OS Loader

Yes. First install LILO to load from the superblock of your Linux partition,
or from a floppy (not the MBR). In my case that partition is /dev/hda5, and
the FAT partition that contains boot.ini is mounted under /dos.

You need to copy the loader to a file in the same place as boot.ini, so type
something like this as root:

  head --bytes 512 /dev/hda5 >/dos/bootsect.llo
                        ^^^^  ^^^^
       your Linux partition    your mount point

If you put LILO onto a boot floppy, use /dev/fd0 instead of your Linux
partition (I haven't tried it this way, but I can't see any reason why it
wouldn't work).

Now add the following line to boot.ini:

C:\BOOTSECT.LLO="Linux"
^ letter of drive containing boot.ini

Reboot, et voila.

David Hopwood

2. FTP as background process?

3. Booting using NT Boot Loader

4. Changing Dates

5. dhcpd

6. Booting Solaris using NT boot loader

7. xfree configuration: screen goes on and off and on...

8. Solaris Boot Using NT boot loader?

9. Problem booting RH 7.1 using NT boot loader

10. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

11. Booting Linux from NT Boot Loader?

12. dual booting NT and linux without windows boot loaders