Libc.so.4

Post by Robert Durk » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know anything about libc.so.4?  I have tried to play doom, but
when I enter "doom" I get "can't find libc.so.4"  I have searched my
directories, and I am unable to find these libraries.  I also tried looking
online, and found libraries, except no libc libraries.  Does anyone have a
fix for this problem?

Rob

Libc.so.4

Post by John Gluc » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know anything about libc.so.4?  I have tried to play doom, but
> when I enter "doom" I get "can't find libc.so.4"  I have searched my
> directories, and I am unable to find these libraries.  I also tried looking
> online, and found libraries, except no libc libraries.  Does anyone have a
> fix for this problem?

> Rob

Hi

This may help you a bit.

Most libraries are named something like: libwhatchamacallit.so.4.xx
where xx is a number.

In order to to find it under the name: libwhatchamacallit.so.4
you have to create a softlink.

First find the library with the command:

find / -name libwhatchamacallit.*

then change to the directory and do the following:

ln -s libwhatchamacallit.so.4.xx libwhatchamacallit.so.4

That will make the library visible under another name without making a
copy of it

Regards

John GLuck

Libc.so.4

Post by Torsten Schweiger » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know anything about libc.so.4?  I have tried to play doom, but
> when I enter "doom" I get "can't find libc.so.4"  I have searched my
> directories, and I am unable to find these libraries.  I also tried looking
> online, and found libraries, except no libc libraries.  Does anyone have a
> fix for this problem?

> Rob

Hi,

the libc.so.4 ist the a.out version of libc. You have to install them
and enable a.out support in the kernel. libc.so.4.7.5 is the latest
version I think and can be found on sunsite.

Hope this helps -- Torsten

1. Why did some of the networking API change between libc.so.5 and libc.so.6?

Hi all.

I have a program using dns_mkquery, gethostbyaddr_r and a few other.  I
upgraded from Slackware 3.4 to
Redhat 5.1 (too see if Redhat was really as easy as all told - but
that's a different story) and now I see that
my program doesn't build because the API to these networking routines
changed.  I can see this as
viable if the industry standard were going that way, but the UNIX98 spec
didn't seem to call for these
changes as I could see, so does anyone know why this happened.  The long
and short is that instead
of these routines having a return value (hostent **) which really only
pointed to something you'd passed
in (hostent *), you now have to pass in the item.  I dunno why this
change happened, but I don't like
having to rewrite API's without a reason.  Any ideas?  I'm not as good
as I should be on rechecking these

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

kenbo "frustrated"

(Now that I finally have a gdb with thread support, I cannot build my
app to debug!  ARGH!)

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Linux to DC PPP via Modem

3. libc.so.4 vs libc.so.5 ?

4. Configuring Linux for dial-in access (not ppp)

5. How do I relink libc.so.4 to libc.so.4.4.1?

6. Best way of sending large number of files from PC to Unix machine

7. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

8. locale for Linux

9. libc.so & libc.so.1

10. Using libc.a versus libc.so with FreeBSD

11. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

12. Need help undestanding libc.so.3.0 -> libc.so.3.1 and libutil. Need a tech Guru probably :-)

13. Binaries linked to libc.so.5 AND libc.so.6? Hmmm...