PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

Post by Mark Lo » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,
>    I am looking to purchase a new Pentium computer that will run with
>the current Linux kernel. I wanted to use the PCI bus in particular and
>leave anything dealing with ISA alone. I was hoping that someone could
>tell me what type of hard disk and controllers work best with Linux. I
>would hate to purchase the computer and then find out certain parts are
>not compatible.

No doubt about it.  Go Triton (chipset).

I recommend the ASUS Triton boards with p-burst cache.

The onboard IDE interface (part of Triton) is extremely well done,
and with a Quantum FireBall 1080A drive (or two..), it will outperform
far more costly solutions in all respects.  Damn cheap, too!
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]