-Patition table damage -

Post by Lotto Alessandr » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
(
I have already write at this newsgroup for the same problem:
--VFS: Unable to mount root--  Help!
but i think that the damage at the partition table is fundamental.
)

I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
filesystem (hda3).
When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
explore2fs i had a system crash
due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
is my fault)

I have do great damage at the partition table.

fdisk says:
- all the partition has different physical/logical endings:
- all the partition does not end on cylinder boundary
- partition1 overap partition2, partition3, partition4
- total allocated sector 1952874772 greater than the maximun 4124736
- etc etc .....

I can boot in win95 but i can't boot in my linux partition.

My computer has:
- 2G
- 32Mb
- AMD 166
- Win95  (1G)
- Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

My computer has 4 partitions:
- /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
- /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
- /dev/hda3   Linux Native
- /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

For recover the partition table ?!?
Thank'you.

Lotto Alessandro (Italy)

-Patition table damage -

Post by Eric » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

if you have written down the partition-boundaries on paper (which is a
wise thing to do, although hardly anyone ever does this) you can restore
the partitions with the use of fdisk. If you haven't, (shame on you!)
you can try gpart which scans your HDD in search for partitions. There
may be some other proggies that can do the same for you, search the web.

Eric

Oh yeah, create a follow-up if you crosspost

> Hi,
> (
> I have already write at this newsgroup for the same problem:
> --VFS: Unable to mount root--  Help!
> but i think that the damage at the partition table is fundamental.
> )

> I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
> filesystem (hda3).
> When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
> explore2fs i had a system crash
> due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
> is my fault)

> I have do great damage at the partition table.

> fdisk says:
> - all the partition has different physical/logical endings:
> - all the partition does not end on cylinder boundary
> - partition1 overap partition2, partition3, partition4
> - total allocated sector 1952874772 greater than the maximun 4124736
> - etc etc .....

> I can boot in win95 but i can't boot in my linux partition.

> My computer has:
> - 2G
> - 32Mb
> - AMD 166
> - Win95  (1G)
> - Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

> My computer has 4 partitions:
> - /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
> - /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
> - /dev/hda3   Linux Native
> - /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

> For recover the partition table ?!?
> Thank'you.

> Lotto Alessandro (Italy)

-Patition table damage -

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>(
>I have already write at this newsgroup for the same problem:
>--VFS: Unable to mount root--  Help!
>but i think that the damage at the partition table is fundamental.
>)

>I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
>filesystem (hda3).
>When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
>explore2fs i had a system crash
>due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
>is my fault)

>I have do great damage at the partition table.

>fdisk says:
>- all the partition has different physical/logical endings:
>- all the partition does not end on cylinder boundary
>- partition1 overap partition2, partition3, partition4
>- total allocated sector 1952874772 greater than the maximun 4124736
>- etc etc .....

>I can boot in win95 but i can't boot in my linux partition.

>My computer has:
>- 2G
>- 32Mb
>- AMD 166
>- Win95  (1G)
>- Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

>My computer has 4 partitions:
>- /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
>- /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
>- /dev/hda3   Linux Native
>- /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

>For recover the partition table ?!?
>Thank'you.

You can get Findpart at http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

do in a Windows DOS box:

findpart all +fat fp.txt

and post the content of fp.txt in a follow-up to this message.

It can be a BIOS setting problem, but it might be better not to touch
anything until the nature of the problem is known.
--
Svend Olaf

-Patition table damage -

Post by Rick Matthe » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>if you have written down the partition-boundaries on paper (which is
>a wise thing to do, although hardly anyone ever does this) you can
>restore the partitions with the use of fdisk.

'Splain how this works, please?
--
Always remember:
<http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

-Patition table damage -

Post by Eric » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >if you have written down the partition-boundaries on paper (which is
> >a wise thing to do, although hardly anyone ever does this) you can
> >restore the partitions with the use of fdisk.

> 'Splain how this works, please?
> --
> Always remember:
> <http://mysite.directlink.net/matthews/smiles/started.htm>

Delete all the partitions on the disc and recreate the partitions with
use of the listing you previously stored, so all the partition
boundaries are restored as they were. With fdisk -l you get a listing of
cylinder numbers were the partitions and/start. Wouldn't try it on a
disc with valuable data if I were you, but it should work, and hey, if
you got your partition table corrupted, it might be the thing to save
you when all else failed.

Eric

-Patition table damage -

Post by Arnaud Ko » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>>if you have written down the partition-boundaries on paper (which is
>>a wise thing to do, although hardly anyone ever does this) you can
>>restore the partitions with the use of fdisk.

Even if you have not written them down, there are ways to retrieve this
information. I made a (very) shot page about a partition problem i once had
(deleted the partition table with dd) and how it was fixed.
See http://www.phys.uu.nl/~akok for more info.

Grt,
Arnaud.

-Patition table damage -

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>>>if you have written down the partition-boundaries on paper (which is
>>>a wise thing to do, although hardly anyone ever does this) you can
>>>restore the partitions with the use of fdisk.

>Even if you have not written them down, there are ways to retrieve this
>information. I made a (very) shot page about a partition problem i once had
>(deleted the partition table with dd) and how it was fixed.
>See http://www.phys.uu.nl/~akok for more info.

>Grt,
>Arnaud.

With regard to "rewriting" partition tables...

I just moved some partition boundaries to give some more room to one, and
use some unused space on another (they were adjacent).  I have Partition
Magic 4.0, but it refused to touch this disk, saying the partition table is
corrupted. (PM is fussy; both DOS fdisk and Linux fdisk will work with this
partition table.  It was originally "messed" with using a version of EZDRIVE.)
On the other hand, I can't just delete and recreate partitions with Linux
fdisks, because it seems to scramble the device numbers.

But the version of PM that Caldera has built into their installer will let me
change the partition boundaries and rewrite the partition table.  Then simply
reboot out of the installer.  (I had previously backed up the partitions, and
restored after moving the boundaries.  I'm not sure that the version of
PM that's in Caldera can move ext2 partitions.)

But the partition table rewriting capability is a good reason to keep a
copy of Caldera Open Linux around.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

-Patition table damage -

Post by Erik Ros » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I've done the same thing many a time.  Use the boot.img disk that you used to
install linux on your system.  try at the LILO prompt:
"mount root=/dev/hd<# of root partition>"
if your partition will still not boot, then your partition tables are
overlapped.
you'll have to load an installation version of linux in your ramdrive (as if you
were reinstalling linux), run "fdisk" and print the partition table.
review the starting and stopping points of the partitions.  TRY NOT TO*UP
ANY FAT partitions or any other partitions that have your work files!

gook luck

> Hi,
> (
> I have already write at this newsgroup for the same problem:
> --VFS: Unable to mount root--  Help!
> but i think that the damage at the partition table is fundamental.
> )

> I have used from win95 the  utility "esplore2fs"  to view the ext2
> filesystem (hda3).
> When I tried  to copy a large file (18Mb) from linux in win95 with
> explore2fs i had a system crash
> due to insufficient space in /dev/hda1  (explore2fs work very well, all this
> is my fault)

> I have do great damage at the partition table.

> fdisk says:
> - all the partition has different physical/logical endings:
> - all the partition does not end on cylinder boundary
> - partition1 overap partition2, partition3, partition4
> - total allocated sector 1952874772 greater than the maximun 4124736
> - etc etc .....

> I can boot in win95 but i can't boot in my linux partition.

> My computer has:
> - 2G
> - 32Mb
> - AMD 166
> - Win95  (1G)
> - Linux  RedHat 6.1   (1G)

> My computer has 4 partitions:
> - /dev/hda1  Win95,  FAT32 (O.S.  partition)
> - /dev/hda2   Win95,  FAT32
> - /dev/hda3   Linux Native
> - /dev/hda4   Linux Swap

> For recover the partition table ?!?
> Thank'you.

> Lotto Alessandro (Italy)

1. Patition table goofy for Linux

Hey all.

    I've been pounding away at a 15 gig Fujitsu drive for a dual boot with
Windoz 98se and Linux.  I've run a few distros, but this time I was headed
to RH 7.1.

    This drive "had" a dynamic disk overlay from "On Track" on it.  I
reformatted and reinstalled windoz, but the Linux install tells me the
partition table is corrupt for hda.

    I have two other smaller drives on this P11 266 384ram  hda is primary
1.

    I went and got Fujitsu's "Zero Fill" utility.  The so called low level
formatting was to rig all those ones to zeros across the board.  This, I
did.  I've
partitioned the drive with one 3gig active primary for my windoz C: drive.
One 4gig extended partition with three logical partitions in the extended,
of 300meg for windoz swap (never tried it so I have no idea if I'm wasting
time on this feature <g>) 1.7gig and one 2gig.

    I also went and got a Fujitsu drive utility to check for drive errors,
but it
found nothing.

    With dos fdisk, I enabled LBA.  I had some grief with some of the
logical partitions registering as * Remote *  which was a little baffling.
They didn't want to "delete" as somehow my label didn't match.  Go figure
;^)  I juggled the bios settings for the drive to finally be able to delete
the logical drives.

    So after all that, Red Hat still is not liking the hda partition table.

    Now the reason I got to rebuilding this system in the first
place..........when I should be finishing the plumbing & electrical in the
kitchen........making no friends with the wife....<sigh>............. is
that I had thought to try "System Commander 2000" to see if it might manage
the partition table better for the two OS's, given the Linux just would not
see hda cleanly.  The minute I enabled SysCom I lost my logical drives.  No
warning and no sign of how to get them back.  Very, very sad.......<G>

     I must be doing something wrong because the zero fill should have given
me a clean slate.  Right?

    Are my bios settings critical to how Linux sees the partition table?
Ideas?

TIA. Ian.

2. Adelgace con salud sin sufrir

3. Does Linux need to use an entry in the patition table?

4. help me please !! ^_^

5. mbs/patition table

6. how to share /usr directory?

7. Partition table damaged? How to fix?

8. Help! Termnet for linux doesn't work!

9. Help : allocating table damaged!!

10. help: damaged partition table

11. Damaged Routing-Table

12. Damaged partition table

13. HELP ! Partition table partly damaged