Sys Admins help out a newbie to it...

Post by Aamer Sachedin » Wed, 13 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi:
I am running Linux on my home PC and even though I am the only user, I
want to do things like right.

I just downloaded netscape.  When I unzip and  unarchive it, it gives me
a whole bunch of files and directories including a  few executables.  As
a sys. admin. where should one put these files (/bin or /usr/bin
/usr/sbin).  The README file does not specify.

Also if I am using the bourne shell,  how does a user set up the PATH
variable so that it is set to what they want when they login.

Thanks in advance for taking out your time to help me.

-Aamer

P.S. Email is appreciated.

1. Newbie Sys Admin needs help with ftp

Hello.  I am pretty new to unix and solaris.  Someone else set up an ftp
account for one of my users.  When that user makes a connection and drops a
file onto my machine, it lands in a subdirectory named 'ftp'.  I need to
change that now so it lands in a subdir named xdod.  I have no idea how to
accomplish that goal.  But at least I was smart enough to find this group so
I can ask.  If I haven't stated the problem clearly enough, or if I've left
out any critical information, please enlighten me.   Thank you.

--Gabe

2. help with e-mail

3. Newbie working up to Sys Admin

4. HELP:Problems with Magheto-optical disks AND SCO OS502

5. difference between Sys Admin & Sys Analyst?

6. Current Patches Killed my system

7. recommended SYS V and BSD systems for Intro Sys Admin course

8. mailing big files

9. UNIX sys admin's & MVS sys prog's required ------------ SF

10. Sys Analyst or Sys Admin ???

11. Lead Sys Tech and Sys Admin Web Services

12. HELP SYS ADMINS PLEASE HELP

13. UNIX SYS ADMIN /SECURITY ADMIN POSITION IN FL