user/passwd trouble

Post by ingo assenmache » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

hi all!!

now there is a strange problem:

i recently updated my suse6.0 to 6.2 (switched kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.10).
as far as i have found out there has also been done a change in user
authentification. PAM is now (heavily (?)) used by login etc.

system activities seemed to be normal after the update... so far so
good...

but then: i tried to delete a user (due to misspelling of her name).
afterwards i tried to create a new user.
i typed:

useradd cc002 (for example)

and checked /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in which obviously correct
entries have been made like:

passwd:

cc002:x:601:100::/home/cc002:/bin/bash

shadow:

cc002:!:10849:0:99999:7:0::cc002:!:10849:0:99999:7:0::

ok. now i checked on /home/cc002

ls -l /home/cc002

drwxr-xr-x   6 601  users        1024 Apr 27 14:30 cc002

"hmm.." i thought "now where is the mapping from uid 601 to "cc002"??

i tried to change passwd of cc002 which revealed that a user named cc002
does not exist.

passwd cc002
passwd: Unknown user cc002

a follow up removal ended like:

userdel cc002
userdel: user cc002 does not exist

finally i tried to delete the old (already deleted(!)) user, whiches
produced:

userdel <old-user>

userdel: error deleting password entry
userdel: error deleting shadow password entry

i am absolutely riddled. there seems to be no reference to the old
user-name (which was claimed to be deleted via yast) but userdel does
NOT complain about its non-existence but on errors on removal from
passwd and shadow (which is obvious, because there is NO line whether in
passwd nor in shadow containing the old user name).

ANY HINT/HELP IS ABSOLUTELY WELCOME!!

thanks in advance,

ingo.

--

1. want 3 other users to user passwd like root

 I would like to have 3 other users to be able to
run passwd to changes anybody's password, just like
root can.

I set up a group called admin and put these people
in this group (/etc/group) and I set up
the adduser to allow these people to run adduser.

   -rws--x---  root   admin   adduser

I want to do a similar thing with passwd.
BUT  If I set up passwd like....
   -rws--x--- root  admin   passwd

normal users won't be able to user passwd because
of the  admin group.

How do I do this (sudoer?)

THanks for your help.
Craig

2. SMP on RTLinux/RTAI

3. passwd troubles

4. Ho does ethernet channel bonding work?

5. Big trouble--/etc/passwd is hosed!

6. Knoppix on Hard Drive

7. passwd trouble

8. sendmsg: Operation not permitted

9. Ekk sp error in passwd, im in trouble

10. caldera /etc/passwd troubles? Help!

11. Trouble with passwd

12. passwd troubles followup

13. Some trouble in Solaris passwd and shadow (NIS)