Thoughts on new Star Office 5

Post by Timothy P. Kelle » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I downloaded SO5 yesterday, so far so good; it really is nice to have a
decent spreadsheet to work with in Linux.

However, this sucker is slow.  I mean really, really slow.  Not that it
takes a while to load, this is fast enough.  It's the screen draws,
especially the widgets (menus especially).  On a P233/64MB/Millennium
4MB/ultra-wide SCSI the menus and dialogs feel very sticky and
unresponsive.  I don't know how else to put it.  What widget set does
this thing use, anyway?

Also, SO is really banking on the 95/Office 97 clone thing.  It even has
a desktop with a start menu that looks just like 95's.  I know they're
trying to attract new Linux users, but I know I'm not alone when I say I
hate the explorer interface of windows.  It has to be one of the very
worst of all UI's.

Whatever happened to 2d menus, anyway?  The craze for all this 3D
looking stuff has gone overboard.  It's just too slow, and it isn't any
prettier anyway.  I recently fired up (gasp) NT 3.51 and was amazed at
how much faster (graphically) it is than NT4.0, just because of the
nice, flat 2D menus and dialogs.

Thoughts on new Star Office 5

Post by Bruno Nilsso » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[ text1.txt 1K ]

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

wrote regarding Thoughts on new Star Office 5:

Quote:> I downloaded SO5 yesterday, so far so good; it really is nice to have
> decent spreadsheet to work with in Linux.
> However, this sucker is slow.  I mean really, really slow.  Not that
it
> takes a while to load, this is fast enough.  It's the screen draws,
> especially the widgets (menus especially).  On a P233/64MB/Millennium
> 4MB/ultra-wide SCSI the menus and dialogs feel very sticky and
> unresponsive.  I don't know how else to put it.  What widget set does
> this thing use, anyway?

I find your observation interesting. On my machine menues and dialogs
come up immediately. I have a 200 Mhz /64 MB/Millennium 4B and SCSI
I/O.

Quote:> Also, SO is really banking on the 95/Office 97 clone thing.  It even