/usr-partition on cd-rom?

Post by Peter Knirs » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 02:31:13

Hello,

there are many cd's for  installation of linux  that use a lot of disk
space.  Wouldn't  it   be nice  to mount   all this programs   from  a
preinstalled cd-rom?  Only a few customisation files  would have to be
writable, so most of your disc would remain for user data.

Has anybody followed up such an idea?

Are such cd's already available?

                                     Thanks, Peter

/usr-partition on cd-rom?

Post by Scott Seligm » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 12:01:01

>there are many cd's for  installation of linux  that use a lot of disk
>space.  Wouldn't  it   be nice  to mount   all this programs   from  a
>preinstalled cd-rom?  Only a few customisation files  would have to be
>writable, so most of your disc would remain for user data.

>Are such cd's already available?

Yeah, the Yggdrasil Fall '93 CD that I have will do this.  It is *very*
slow though, but it works, and takes something like 30-50 megs of hard
drive space.

--
  <A HREF="http://www.metronet.com/HomePages/seligmn/"> My Page! </A>

/usr-partition on cd-rom?

Post by Dan Newcom » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 00:45:57

Quote:>there are many cd's for  installation of linux  that use a lot of disk
>space.  Wouldn't  it   be nice  to mount   all this programs   from  a
>preinstalled cd-rom?  Only a few customisation files  would have to be
>writable, so most of your disc would remain for user data.
>Has anybody followed up such an idea?
>Are such cd's already available?

A lot of CD's come with "live" filesystems".  Ie... someone has already
installed the packages and the correct directory structure is in some
directory.

I used to have tons of links on my hard drive to access stuff on the CD to
save space.  I rarely use OpenLook, so I had the whole directory
(/usr/openwin) linked to the cd (/cdrom/live/usr/openwin).  I copied the most
commonly used binaries to the hard drive /usr/bin, and placed
/cdrom/live/usr/bin in my path, so it would also look there.   For somethings,
I actually linked it togther on a file by file basis.

Now I use my cd player for audio cd's unless I need to install a package I
didn't previously.

It's easier, saner, and faster.
        -Dan

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"And the man in the mirror has sad eyes."       -Marillion

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. Ports

3. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

4. Searching Hotline CLient/Server-Protocol

5. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

6. Rookie Linuxist ...

7. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

8. Exabyte 8505XL: what's it's *real* capacity?

9. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

10. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM

11. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

12. Universal CD-ROM resells LINUX CD-ROM

13. Q: Mitshuma CD-ROM and InfoMagic Cd-ROM