unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by doug reed » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:17:16

I'm recompiling the 2.2.12 kernel to enable support for a
parallel port printer.  Unfortunately, this breaks everything
that's compiled as a modules.

My sequence of commands is

cd /usr/src/linux
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make modules
make modules_install
make bzdisk
depmod -a

This is where dozens of .o files are reported as  having unresolved symbol(s).
I can boot from the new kernel on disk, but nothing that was compiled as
a module works.

I tried doing

make modules
make modules_install

after the make bzdisk, but that didn't change anything.

Neither the Kernal HOWTO, the Modules mini-HOWTO, the O'Reilly
_Linux Network Administartors Guide_ address this problem.

I'm using the Red Hat 6.1 distribution on an HP Visualize Workstation.
--
P. Douglas Reeder      Lecturer, Computer. Science. Dept., Ohio State Univ..

R>+ tv+ b+++>$ DI+ D- G e+++ h r+>+++ y+>++

unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Bill Unr » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:43:32

Quote:>I'm recompiling the 2.2.12 kernel to enable support for a
>parallel port printer.  Unfortunately, this breaks everything
>that's compiled as a modules.

ALL distributions that I have every heard of support parallel port
printers out of the box. What made you think you should recompile?
Despite what some of the ancient and outdated howtos say, you almost
never should recompile your kernel. You will almost always make things
worse, rather than better.
(Yes, it is possible to recompile one's kernel and have it work.
)

Post by Bill Delphenic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I'm recompiling the 2.2.12 kernel to enable support for a
> >parallel port printer.  Unfortunately, this breaks everything
> >that's compiled as a modules.

> ALL distributions that I have every heard of support parallel port
> printers out of the box. What made you think you should recompile?
> Despite what some of the ancient and outdated howtos say, you almost
> never should recompile your kernel. You will almost always make things
> worse, rather than better.
> (Yes, it is possible to recompile one's kernel and have it work.
> )

I seem to remember hearing that parallel port support only works when installed as a module.
All distributions I have run into include the module for parallel port support out of the
box.

I have always recompiled my kernel, being pretty much old-school. However, I have been
wrestling with RH7 lately, and I have never run into so many problems. This is not a happy
situation for the Linux community if we lose the ability to do our own kernels.

Post by Rob Fu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm recompiling the 2.2.12 kernel to enable support for a
>parallel port printer.  Unfortunately, this breaks everything
>that's compiled as a modules.

>My sequence of commands is

>cd /usr/src/linux
>make xconfig
>make dep
>make clean
>make modules
>make modules_install
>make bzdisk
>depmod -a

>This is where dozens of .o files are reported as  having unresolved symbol(s).
>I can boot from the new kernel on disk, but nothing that was compiled as
>a module works.

>I tried doing

>make modules
>make modules_install

>after the make bzdisk, but that didn't change anything.

The second way is the correct order -- make and install modules after
making everything else.

When recompiling the same version of the kernel that you are already
using, it often helps to rename the module directory that you're
using, so that the new compile uses its own module directory.  Try "mv
/lib/modules/2.2.12 /lib/modules/2.2.12.old", then "make
modules_install" again.  Otherwise you get depmod confusion because of
old modules that weren't replaced.

But if you're recompiling the kernel anyway, I'd recommend just
downloading 2.2.17 or (if it's released yet) 2.2.18, since a lot has
been fixed since 2.2.12.  See ftp.kernel.org.

--
==============================| "A slice of life isn't the whole cake

 http://www.funknet.net/rfunk |    -- Chris Mars, "Stuck in Rewind"

unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

Post by Otto Wy » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> This is where dozens of .o files are reported as  having unresolved symbol(s).
> I can boot from the new kernel on disk, but nothing that was compiled as
> a module works.

The unresolved symbol(s) appear after a compilation of the kernel when
the new config has changed some parts from module to be included in
kernel. Then some modules where still installed but not used anymore.
You can remove the offending modules without loosing functionality (move
them to a save location). See under /lib/modules/...

O. Wyss

1. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

I always recompile the kernel and have never experienced problems as a
result of it. Most of the "out of the box" kerenels do have parallel
printer support, that is true. There are other reasons to recompile
though. Sometimes you can achieve a smaller memory footprint by paring
the kernel and recompiling. I personally like to include support for
all of the drivers I will need directly in the kernel. This all but
eliminates the possibility of an essential module being improperly
loaded at boot (from my experience anyway).

The only reason a recompile is likely to break a working system is if
the kernel is misconfigured. If the kernel was recompiled without some
option that the original kernel had compiled in it could cause
problems

Andy

2. Help wanted in setting up e-mail client connections on RH5

3. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

4. opinion of Just Logic/SQL and Empress RDBM

5. unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

6. Mitsubishi Diamond Scan Monitor modes?

7. unresolved symbols after kernel recompile

8. Teach BitKeeper about files to ignore for x86_64

9. recompile of kernel leads to unresolved modules ???

10. Modules, kernel 1.1.88, and unresolved symbols

11. Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/misc/zoran.o: 2.4.17 kernel

12. Custom Kernel: depmod - unresolved symbol(s) in multiple modules

13. IPX as module in kernel 2.4.18 has unresolved symbols