Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

Post by rto.. » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello, we have RH 6.2 & installed a ISA Ether16 LAN card after we
already installed the OS. We turned off Plug & Play via the card's
setup utility, which says it is i/o base address: 300 and interrupt
number 3.  When we re-boot the machine, we can not even ping: bash:
ping: command not found
When we do ifconfig -a we get:
lo Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTO:3924 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
When the system is shutting down, it says:
ne.c no PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" value for ISA cards
How do we designate the io="0xNNN"?

When the system is starting up, it says:
Bringing up interface lo
Bringing up eth0 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2..(too fast to read)..
Delaying eth0 initialization

We are still booting from the boot disk that created the OS
installation; do we need to make a new disk since we added an ethernet
card or is there a way to add the card without re-installing the OS?

Cheers,
rt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

Post by William Wueppelma » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

In our last episode (Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:32:15 GMT),

Quote:>Hello, we have RH 6.2 & installed a ISA Ether16 LAN card after we
>already installed the OS. We turned off Plug & Play via the card's
>setup utility, which says it is i/o base address: 300 and interrupt
>number 3.  When we re-boot the machine, we can not even ping: bash:
>ping: command not found

That has nothing to do with the card; you don't have ping installed/in your
path if that's the case.  Though it is a bit strange to not have it
installed as part of a default.

Quote:>When we do ifconfig -a we get:
>lo Link encap: Local Loopback
>inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
>UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTO:3924 Metric:1
>RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>When the system is shutting down, it says:
>ne.c no PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" value for ISA cards
>How do we designate the io="0xNNN"?

You should be able to use modconf (modconf is a standard Linux utility,
isn't it?) to create the correct entries for your Ethernet card.

Quote:>When the system is starting up, it says:
>Bringing up interface lo
>Bringing up eth0 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2..(too fast to read)..
>Delaying eth0 initialization

run `dmesg | less' to read all of this stuff after boot time.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

Can't Install Ethernet Card after Linux is already Installed

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:07:54 GMT, William Wueppelmann

shouted forth into the ether:

Quote:>That has nothing to do with the card; you don't have ping installed/in your
>path if that's the case.  Though it is a bit strange to not have it
>installed as part of a default.

>>When we do ifconfig -a we get:
>>lo Link encap: Local Loopback
>>inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
>>UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTO:3924 Metric:1
>>ne.c no PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" value for ISA cards
>>How do we designate the io="0xNNN"?

Edit /etc/conf.modules using your favorite text editor,
naturally.  Somewhere in that file, add the lines
  options ne io=0x300 irq=3
  alias eth0 ne
...no need to reboot either, just run /sbin/init.d/network start (that's
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start for Redhat folks.)  Of course, this won't
work unless the card is truly NE2000 compatible--most cards that claim to
be are, but there have been problems with very cheap clones.

Quote:>You should be able to use modconf (modconf is a standard Linux utility,
>isn't it?) to create the correct entries for your Ethernet card.

Nope, no modconf here in SuSE 6.4.  vi and conf.modules, OTOH, are in
every installation.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hello, we have RH 6.2 & installed a ISA Ether16 LAN card after we
> already installed the OS. We turned off Plug & Play via the card's
> setup utility, which says it is i/o base address: 300 and interrupt
> number 3.  When we re-boot the machine, we can not even ping: bash:
> ping: command not found
> When we do ifconfig -a we get:
> lo Link encap: Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTO:3924 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> When the system is shutting down, it says:
> ne.c no PCI cards found. use "io=0xNNN" value for ISA cards
> How do we designate the io="0xNNN"?

> When the system is starting up, it says:
> Bringing up interface lo
> Bringing up eth0 insmod: /lib/modules/2.2..(too fast to read)..
> Delaying eth0 initialization

> We are still booting from the boot disk that created the OS
> installation; do we need to make a new disk since we added an ethernet
> card or is there a way to add the card without re-installing the OS?

> Cheers,
> rt

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I would guess your system is trying to use the module for your
previous ethernet card.   You need an entry in /etc/conf.modules
of the form
alias eth0  XXXX
where XXXX is the appropriate module for your card.   You also
need the module for this card to be in /lib/modules/<some_no>/net
where it will have the form XXXX.o.

1. Installing an ethernet card in Linux after base install

The D-Link 530 works great.  I'm connected using one right now.  You
don't have to re-compile the kernel.  The main gotcha' is that it isn't
detected during the initial install, but you probably already know that.

All you have to do is use Linuxconf and go to Config/Networking/Client
tasks/Basic host information and set your networking information.
Choose 'via-rhine' for the kernel module.

Even though Linuxconf sets all the assorted configuration scripts
correctly, it often (in my experience) doesn't do a good job of
initializing the card properly, so you might have to re-boot after the
first time you set this up.

Some more information on getting Ethernet cards to work:
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/nics.htm

Wayne Larmon
http://www.scrounge.org/
http://www.scrounge.org/linux/linuxtips.html

2. mounting remotely

3. Help with ext2-fs error messages

4. installing other components once linux is already installed

5. AIX hardware platforms--general questions

6. problems, if installing linux if there is a Win NT4 is already installed?

7. TCP_NODELAY

8. Installing Solaris x86 with Linux already installed

9. Installing NT with Linux already installed

10. Newbie Installing Ethernet card after inital install

11. Install AIX V4.2.1 on H50 which installed AIX V4.3.2 already

12. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.