tar on /dev/nst0 : how much bytes did I write ?

tar on /dev/nst0 : how much bytes did I write ?

Post by peter pils » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:51:29

when taring (via a compression-filter like gzip) on a tape I want to know
how much bytes I wrote in total. Is there any way to determine this value ?

I mainly perform a

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
tar czf /dev/nst0  /data
mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

neither "tar" nor "mt" seems to be capable of what I want ....

thnx
peter

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 23:39:32

> when taring (via a compression-filter like gzip) on a tape I want to know
> how much bytes I wrote in total. Is there any way to determine this value ?

> I mainly perform a

> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> tar czf /dev/nst0  /data
> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

> neither "tar" nor "mt" seems to be capable of what I want ....

> thnx
> peter

How about the '--totals' flag to tar?

Or if you know the blocksize of the tape

'mt -f /dev/nst0 status'

after the backup but before you rewind the tape will tell
you the position of the tape in blocks.  Then with some
simple arithmetic you can calculate bytes from that IF you
know the blocksize.

Post by B'ichel » Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:56:53

> when taring (via a compression-filter like gzip) on a tape I want to know
> how much bytes I wrote in total. Is there any way to determine this value ?

> I mainly perform a

> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
> tar czf /dev/nst0  /data
> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

        Yes, the gnu tar does have a long switch that gives totals.
and it is --totals. using the tar line from above

Quote:> tar czf /dev/nst0 -totals /data

        You can find out more on this on the tar man page or tar info
page.

--

                        The New Cnews maintainer
                                B'ichela

1. tar error: cannot open /dev/nst0

Hi.  I'm running into a brick wall.  I have some tar.gz files.
I got them gunzipped, but when I try to tar -x them, I get

cannot open /dev/nst0...device not installed

I've wandered over to /dev.  There is indeed a /nst0.  What do I
need to do install it?

Valerie

2. changing resolution in CDE

3. /dev/nst0 and tar

4. NEWBIE: mod-perl question

5. /bin/tar: /dev/nst0: Warning: Cannot close: Input/output error

6. terminfo library

7. tar: can't open /dev/nst0 : No such device

8. Suggestions Wanted: ELFed Distribution

9. Help: tar can't open /dev/nst0

10. Help please: SCSI tape (/dev/nst0) I/O errors with tar

11. Can't find /dev/nst0....What am I doing wrong?

12. /dev/st0 /dev/nst0

13. Changing Tape Drive To Use /dev/nst1 From /dev/nst0