startx gives problems

Post by Chakravarthy K Sannedh » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:19:45

I am using Redhat 6.2 distribution. When I give startx command the screen is
blinking for about two times after which it is giving a huge error messages,
which contains many lines starting with '(--) Mach64:' Mach64 is actually my
X server name. The error message also contains the following lines.

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect:errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
mach64ProgramClkMach64CT: Warning: Q < 10.666666667
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

When I am giving 'service xfs status' command it is giving 'xfs dead but
subsys locked'

Can any one please tell me what is this fixed font error and what is wrong
with the xfs.

TIA
Chakravarthy K Sannedhi

startx gives problems

Post by jbuch.. » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:22:37

Quote:> When I am giving 'service xfs status' command it is giving 'xfs dead but
> subsys locked'

Last fall I had the same problem with RH 6.2 I don't remember the
exact fix, but I thrashed around looking for xfs lock files (while xfs
was not running), restarted xfs ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start" [1]) and
xfs was up and running, w/o any problems since. There was definitely
no serious work involved.

The RH 6.2 machine is one of my desktop machines at work, if this post
does not help, you can email me and I'll look at it in more detail
when at work.

[1] If I remember correctly (that's what it is on the Mandrake 7.1
machine I'm sitting at, and I'm 99+% sure it's the same path on RH
6.2).

--

=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================
"I dreamed I dwelt in marble halls, And woke to find it true;

startx gives problems

Post by Chakravarthy K Sannedh » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:29:04

Quote:> Last fall I had the same problem with RH 6.2 I don't remember the
> exact fix, but I thrashed around looking for xfs lock files (while xfs
> was not running), restarted xfs ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start" [1]) and
> xfs was up and running, w/o any problems since. There was definitely
> no serious work involved.

Thanks for your suggestion. I exactly did what you tried to explain here.
First I stopped the xfs service and then removed the xfs lock files under
the /var/lock/subsys directory, then started the xfs service and then gave
the startx command. But no joy, it is giving the same error and when I ask
for the status of xfs it is once again displaying the same message 'xfs dead
by subsys locked'
Here is the sequence of commands that I used.

Quote:>service xfs stop
>rm -fr /var/lock/subsys/xfs
>service xfs start
>startx
>service xfs status

TIA
Chakravarthy K Sannedhi

startx gives problems

Post by Eric » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:14:43

Quote:> > Last fall I had the same problem with RH 6.2 I don't remember the
> > exact fix, but I thrashed around looking for xfs lock files (while xfs
> > was not running), restarted xfs ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start" [1]) and
> > xfs was up and running, w/o any problems since. There was definitely
> > no serious work involved.

> Thanks for your suggestion. I exactly did what you tried to explain here.
> First I stopped the xfs service and then removed the xfs lock files under
> the /var/lock/subsys directory, then started the xfs service and then gave
> the startx command. But no joy, it is giving the same error and when I ask
> for the status of xfs it is once again displaying the same message 'xfs
dead
> by subsys locked'
> Here is the sequence of commands that I used.

> >service xfs stop
> >rm -fr /var/lock/subsys/xfs
> >service xfs start
> >startx
> >service xfs status

If you didn't change anything prior to this, run df.
I suppose /tmp or /var to be filled 100%

Eric

startx gives problems

Post by aflinsc » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:40:26

> > > Last fall I had the same problem with RH 6.2 I don't remember the
> > > exact fix, but I thrashed around looking for xfs lock files (while xfs
> > > was not running), restarted xfs ("/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start" [1]) and
> > > xfs was up and running, w/o any problems since. There was definitely
> > > no serious work involved.

> > Thanks for your suggestion. I exactly did what you tried to explain here.
> > First I stopped the xfs service and then removed the xfs lock files under
> > the /var/lock/subsys directory, then started the xfs service and then gave
> > the startx command. But no joy, it is giving the same error and when I ask
> > for the status of xfs it is once again displaying the same message 'xfs
> dead
> > by subsys locked'
> > Here is the sequence of commands that I used.

> > >service xfs stop
> > >rm -fr /var/lock/subsys/xfs
> > >service xfs start
> > >startx
> > >service xfs status

> If you didn't change anything prior to this, run df.
> I suppose /tmp or /var to be filled 100%

could also be /home that got full, and noplace to create the
.xsession-errors file -- That's what happened to me.