Ied utility equivalent for HP-UX

Post by Alfred P. Bartholom » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 06:20:24

Dear Fellow Linux users and Developers,

We are currently using "ied" which is a HP-UX utility. It stands
for:  input editor and command history for interactive programs.
ied is a utility command that is intended to act as an interface
      between the user and an interactive program such as bc, bs, or Bourne
      shell, providing most of the line editing and history functionality
      found in the Korn shell.

We are looking for a replacement for this utility for a linux
support.

Does anyone know about such a utility ? We have been web searching
everyone and can't find anything about a like kind substitute.

If you any info you would care to share, it would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Fred Bartholomai

Ied utility equivalent for HP-UX

Post by Paul Pluzhniko » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:03:43

Quote:> We are currently using "ied" which is a HP-UX utility...
> We are looking for a replacement for this utility for a linux

I used one (long time ago), called FEP. Just found it here:

  http://www.netsw.org/system/tools/term/fep.tar.gz

the BLURB for it says: a "lile" variant

and the "lile" (which I have not used, same place) BLURB:
  Loesch's Input Line Editor (ILE) derivate

Cheers,

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:32:38

> We are currently using "ied" which is a HP-UX utility. It stands
> for:  input editor and command history for interactive programs.
> ied is a utility command that is intended to act as an interface
>       between the user and an interactive program such as bc, bs, or Bourne
>       shell, providing most of the line editing and history functionality
>       found in the Korn shell.

> We are looking for a replacement for this utility for a linux
> support.

I've found that command-line editing provided by bash (and readline) seems
to work in several command-line utilities... eg., bc.  I don't know
how this happens exactly, but I do have an ~/.inputrc with
"set editing-mode vi" which makes bash CL editing work just like Korn
shell.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Post by Jan Wielemake » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:55:50

>> We are currently using "ied" which is a HP-UX utility. It stands
>> for:  input editor and command history for interactive programs.
>> ied is a utility command that is intended to act as an interface
>>       between the user and an interactive program such as bc, bs, or Bourne
>>       shell, providing most of the line editing and history functionality
>>       found in the Korn shell.

>> We are looking for a replacement for this utility for a linux
>> support.

> I've found that command-line editing provided by bash (and readline) seems
> to work in several command-line utilities... eg., bc.  I don't know
> how this happens exactly, but I do have an ~/.inputrc with
> "set editing-mode vi" which makes bash CL editing work just like Korn
> shell.

Many interactive free software programs use libreadline (originally
developed as part of bash).  This lets you control history, completion,
etc.  It doesn't work for arbitrary programs though (although it must
be really easy to make ied out of libreadline).  Long time ago I used
`led', but I haven't seen it around for some time.

        --- Jan