htpasswd encryption for Windows

Post by Mike Co » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am the webmaster of a website that has a few secure directories.  We are a
software company that requires users to have a username/password to access
various pages.  The username/password expires at a given time.  We currently
control access to directories with the .htaccess & .passwd files.  We need
to track expiration dates and update the username/password on a daily basis.

I would like to write a simple Windows compatible application to track this
information and modify the .passwd file to reflect the necessary changes.
It would be a simple database app that checks expiration dates of customers,
creates a text file (.passwd), then ftp this file to the appropriate
directories on our remotely hosted web server running a "Unix type" OS
username/password.

To do this I need to know how the passwords are encrypted for the .passwd
files.  I have searched far and wide to find a simple Windows app that does
the same thing as the htpasswd program.  I have decided that if I can get
the encryption algorithm used by htpasswd then I can create a DLL and simply
call it with this application.

Anyone have any Ideas or suggestions?  If so please E-mail your response as
well as I don't frequent this newsgroup too often.

Thanks,
Mike Cox

1. htpasswd encryption for Windows

[...]

2. Linkers other than ld

3. htpasswd in Win95 gets screwy encryption

4. Help! configure php with rpm

5. [E][Q]: A Password Encryption Utility - .htpasswd

6. How to ADD SSL Support to Apache?

7. htpasswd encryption methods

8. set maxphys = <8M> causes Ultra 5 IDE/ATA disks unsable

9. htpasswd encryption algorithm

10. [E][Q]: A Password Encryption Utility - .htpasswd

11. To hack my own htpasswd program, where would I get the encryption/decryption routine that the current htpasswd uses?

12. apache htpasswd for windows?