Use lilo for dual boot Linux/Windows NT?

Use lilo for dual boot Linux/Windows NT?

Post by John Overto » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I currently use a 600Meg partition to for a dual book Linux/Win95
machine.  Would like to swap in NT for Win95?

What is the recommended way to do this?  I understand Lilo a bit, and so
would like to do this, but have heard that this is inadvisable or can't
be done.

What's the right way to go, and can someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
John Overton

Use lilo for dual boot Linux/Windows NT?

Post by Jacques Bourdea » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I use Lilo and boot Linux, NT or Win95.
Install WinNT and return in Linux.
Use liloconfig and create a new Lilo
startup definition.

Add Linux, add Win95 and select add OS / 2
( NTFS partition appear as HPFS in Linux )
enter the description of your NT's partition
and install Lilo.

It's done : now Lilo can boot Linux, Win95 or
WinNT.

Bye

Jacques Bourdeau

> I currently use a 600Meg partition to for a dual book Linux/Win95
> machine.  Would like to swap in NT for Win95?

> What is the recommended way to do this?  I understand Lilo a bit, and so
> would like to do this, but have heard that this is inadvisable or can't
> be done.

> What's the right way to go, and can someone point me in the right
> direction?

> Thanks,
> John Overton

Use lilo for dual boot Linux/Windows NT?

Post by Jeremy Mathe » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I currently use a 600Meg partition to for a dual book Linux/Win95
>machine.  Would like to swap in NT for Win95?

>What is the recommended way to do this?  I understand Lilo a bit, and so
>would like to do this, but have heard that this is inadvisable or can't
>be done.

>What's the right way to go, and can someone point me in the right
>direction?

People here will advise you on how to setup and use LILO, but I have to say:

        1) It doesn't always work (LILO seems to be rather hardware-fickle)
           (I've seen the infamous LI - then hang - on too many machines)
        2) It (the LILO boot prompt) is ugly.

I'm no MS defender, but I have to say that the most convenient way to
boot NT, DOS, and Linux is to use the NT loader.  It is absolutely
trivial to setup Linux to boot from the NT loader and it always works.

You can also boot Linux from LOADLIN in DOS (put SHELL=LOADLIN.EXE ...
in CONFIG.SYS).  In fact, it can be said that both of the MS OS's (DOS & NT)
are good for one thing (and little else) and that is booting Linux.

You could also look into various 3rd party freeware/shareware boot
managers, such as DOCSBOOT (which is very nice - although I haven't
played with it in several years now).

1. Warning: Dual Booting Linux and NT Using Lilo

Just a follow up to my last posting about using the Linux boot loader (lilo) to
dual boot between Linux and NT.

If you use NTFS volume sets under NT and one of the partitions comprising the
volume resides on drive zero then re-installing lilo to update the Linux boot
loader after for example updating your kernel, will overrite the disk signature
that the NT disk administrator writes to disk zero, and thus make the volume
set inaccessible.

So, if you wish to use a volume set, ensure that it does not contain a
partition from disk zero, so that re-installing lilo will have no effect, and
dual booting will work fine.

 University of Ulster         |  Tel  : +44 1504 375334
 Magee College                |  Fax  : +44 1504 375472
 Faculty of Informatics       |
 Derry. BT48 7JL              |  Http : www.infm.ulst.ac.uk/~aiden

2. X25 and osi

3. Linux and Windows 95 dual boot using LILO

4. Undefined Reference Error

5. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

6. Problems with portmap-4.0

7. dual booting NT and linux without windows boot loaders

8. Sol251-Unknown User: root !!

9. Linux/NT Dual Boot with Lilo?

10. Can I dual boot NT/XP & Linux with LILO in MBR?

11. Dual-boot using NT loader using 4-STABLE fails (FAQ 8.11)

12. Restoring Windows ME Boot after Dual booting Windows and Linux with GRUB - HELP!

13. Dual Boot NT and FreeBSD using Boot Easy?