Errors on booting during partition check

Errors on booting during partition check

Post by u72723.. » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:45:45

Hi

I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:

Partition check:
 hda:hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: drive not ready for command

This is repeated 4 times then continues to boot.

The system works fine, or seems to, I have not noticed any problems although I have only installed today.

I am using Slackware 4 and I have tried using Debian 2.2 with the same result.

The setup is a 210mb HD, 433M Dell Latitude laptop 4mb RAM - I have tried the 2.5inch hard disk in another PC with the same result.

Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?

Thanks
Rich

--
Sent  by richieeee_rich  from  my-deja element  from  com

Post by lenn » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:33:36

> Hi
> I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:
> Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?

> Thanks Rich

You can try fsck see the man page for more info

1. bad partition table error during Partition Check

I'm finally getting around to updating my Linux system.  I currently have
1.1.59 (I know it's old:).  It was the Slackware distribution.

I'm trying to install 1.2.8 from InfoMagic (August 1995 disks).
It is also the Slackware distribution.  I've tried the bare and scsi
boot images and they both give me the same error during boot
during the partition check:

Partition Check:
hda: bad partition table
hdb: bad partition table

When I get to the login and login as root and run fdisk, it spews out lots
of stuff, but nothing related to my actual partitions.

I can still boot my 1.1.59 disks fine, so I know it's not really a
problem with my partition tables.  Also, everything checks out fine under DOS.

My system has a Promise DC-4030VL caching IDE controller.  2 512M IDE drives.
Adaptec AHA 2842 VL SCSI controler with a SCSI CD-ROM.

Any clues to what this problem really is and how to fix it would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Mock

BTW, the same thing happened with the RedHat distribution with 1.2.11.

2. ATI VGAWonder+ & mouse

3. DOS COMPATIBLE MACS

4. Solution:Partition check during boot

5. TV adapter from Terratec with bt878 chipset

6. boot hangs during "partition check"

7. Rec for news reader w/Linux

8. Partition check during boot ?

9. Sector Not Found Error during Partition Check

10. Partition Check Error when system boot

11. Partition check order in fs/partition/check.c?

12. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree