Getting Linux to recognize >64 MB of memory

Getting Linux to recognize >64 MB of memory

Post by bey.. » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I have a dual pentium II system, 400 MHz, Intel 440BX chipset, Redhat
Linux 5.1.
I recently upgraded my system from 64MB to 256MB, but much to my dismay,

Linux only uses the original 64MB.  Are there any software patches I can
apply
to get Linux to use all 256MB?  Can anyone point me to any web pages or
howtos?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David Beymer

Getting Linux to recognize >64 MB of memory

Post by brent verne » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

in your lilo.conf file add:
    append="256M"

be sure this is in the image=/(linuxkernel) section. then run lilo from a terminal. when you reboot,
linux should be using all of your memory.

hth,
--brent

Post by Wild Karl-Hein » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>in your lilo.conf file add:
>    append="256M"

You didn't mean append="mem=256M" ?

And rerun lilo after adding the entry.

-- kh

Getting Linux to recognize >64 MB of memory

Post by brent verne » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

yes, correction noted. attn to detail...my shortcoming.

<hanging head in shame>,
--brent

>>in your lilo.conf file add:
>>    append="256M"

>You didn't mean append="mem=256M" ?

>And rerun lilo after adding the entry.

>-- kh

1. Linux 2.2.10 doesn't recognize > 64 MB memory

When I boot, the kernel doesn't recognize > 64 MB of memory.  I dug
around on the net and found that adding

append="mem=256M"

in the LILO config causes it to use all the memory.  But I'm still not
happy :-).  I would think that the kernel should be able to figure out
how much memory I have without me telling it.

1)  Should it be finding all the memory but there's something messed up
on my machine or config?

2)  Or is Linux set up so that it only recognizes memory up to 64M?  If
so, why?  Given the caliber of folks working on the OS, I'm assuming
that there's a reason.  Does anyone know it?

Dave Madsen ---dcm

2. As above HELP needed please

3. RAD Tools

4. My linux recognize only 64 MB out of 400mb memory?

5. Can anyone tell me

6. Linux reports 64 MB memory on 90 MB system...

7. Why does yard not think kernel is compressed?

8. 96 MB memory != 64 MB

9. allocating > 64 MB of memory

10. >64 MB memory problems

11. Memory > 64 Mb

12. FreeBSD 2.? and Physical Memory > 64 mb