Any recommendations on tape drives?

Post by JohnS4 » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I want to add a tape drive to my system which I have set-up as a dual-boot
system (linux & DOS/Win3.x). I would like to have the tape drive work for
both OSs. Any recommendations or suggestions? I've seen tape drives that
plug into floppy-controllers which seem to be great for DOS/Win. Do these
work for linux and if so, what am I committed to do.

Thanks,
(Please respond via e-mail if possible)

Any recommendations on tape drives?

Post by Brian C. La » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I want to add a tape drive to my system which I have set-up as a dual-boot
>system (linux & DOS/Win3.x). I would like to have the tape drive work for
>both OSs. Any recommendations or suggestions? I've seen tape drives that
>plug into floppy-controllers which seem to be great for DOS/Win. Do these
>work for linux and if so, what am I committed to do.

  I just installed an Iomega 420 Ditto Insider this weekend. Its only
installed under Linux, but I'm sure DOS/Win works fine. I had no problems
with it, I reconfigured the kernel for QIC-117 support, and then installed
the zftape package (does compression on the fly so that one bad block
doesn't wipe out your entire tar file. I got it from ftp.estinc.com (home
site of the BRU backup software).

   Brian

  Embedded Systems Programmer, EET Student, Interactive Fiction author (RSN!)
==============  11 99 3D DB 63 4D 0B 22  15 DC 5A 12 71 DE EE 36  ============