Mouse Hopping Away help?

Post by mynam » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I've recently installed Slackware release 3 Linux
and everything went fine.

I then installed X and am having problems with my
16550AF card... If I use an older serial card for the
mouse port everything is fine...

If I use this newer card the mouse randomly hops off
all over the screen... I need to use the faster card if
I can because it's the only one I have with 2 ports...

I've tried using/re-configuring and not using gpm at all.

has anyone else had any problems with these higher speed
serial port or a hopping mouse?

-john-

Mouse Hopping Away help?

Post by Geoff Sho » Wed, 01 May 1996 04:00:00

: I then installed X and am having problems with my
: 16550AF card... If I use an older serial card for the
: mouse port everything is fine...

: If I use this newer card the mouse randomly hops off
: all over the screen...

You don't say if the mouse works ok in gpm. And you don't say what you
have done to configure the mouse. And you don't say what kind of mouse
you have.

More info --> better answers.
So this will be a series of stabs in the dark.

1) Serial port not configured properly, look in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial and
   change the configuration. Make sure /dev/mouse is correct if you use it.
2) X not configured properly - look in the Xconfig, try tweaking setup
3) Mouse not behaving - probably switching from microsoft to mousesystems
   modes when using faster port.

If it's [2-3]) then look at the soon-to-be-mini-HOWTO on serial mice, at

        http://kipper.york.ac.uk/mouse.html

Let us know how it goes,

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic.    http://www.york.ac.uk/~grs100

Mouse Hopping Away help?

Post by mynam » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

> You don't say if the mouse works ok in gpm. And you don't say what you
> have done to configure the mouse. And you don't say what kind of mouse
> you have.

Sorry I thought I'd made it pretty clear - I've tracked the problem
down to hardware and have checked the installation. No need to bore
everyone with my life story.

I just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar - but no it only
works with this serial card if I go back to dos and windoze or OS/2

It doesn't work with anything under Linux - it's just a mouse - any old
plain ordinary 2 button serial mouse.

-john-

1. HOP HOP and skip with PINE

Hi all,

        Can anyone help me with a mail problem?

        I can get all my mail from my mail server but they don't say where they come from they say 'user unknown'.
When I look at the mail it is there in full but there is a message attached at the top
saying 'To many hops 20 used 17 is the max. i have increased the hops in the sendmail.conf
to 25 but now it says 28 is the, it appears to be always three out.

        Can anyone help me or explain what is happening! Thank you

DEREK JONES

Q. How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. None. Bill Gates announces darkness as an industy standard...!
                        Derek Jones. London. UK

CompuServe: 100533,167
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Running OS/2 Warp on a 100MHz 486

2. ld error

3. Mouse Jumps and Hops in X

4. anything happening with kbuild 2.5?

5. webhosting.com - stay away... far far away

6. 3com 1500 RAS and Cistron Radius

7. Help I'm still struggling with buggy installations

8. Mouse Problem wont go away

9. Mouse runs away!

10. Mouse, Mouse Mouse! Help!

11. Dual Hop X export help