Boot

Post by Odette Roger » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I recently got rid of
my linux system off my
hard disk. I deleted
the partition of the
linux side of my HD.
and reformated it for dos.

But alas I still have
the prompt at boot time
asking me weather
I want linux or dos.
I tried saying sys c:
but it didn't work.

What should I do?

Can anyone help?

Chris

Boot

Post by Jeroen v Drongel » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently got rid of
>my linux system off my
>hard disk.

A loss.

Quote:>I deleted
>the partition of the
>linux side of my HD.
>and reformated it for dos.

Another loss.

Quote:>But alas I still have
>the prompt at boot time
>asking me weather
>I want linux or dos.
>I tried saying sys c:
>but it didn't work.

You might try using a virus program to restore your original master
boot record, if all else fails: type FDISK /MBR  For me it has always
worked, but a lot of people say things may go wrong with it. Use at
your own risk, and use after a good backup!

Boot

Post by Ian Viemeiste » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> But alas I still have
> the prompt at boot time
> asking me weather
> I want linux or dos.
> I tried saying sys c:
> but it didn't work.

fdisk /mbr
(from DOS, of course)

Boot

Post by Frampton Steve » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I recently got rid of
: my linux system off my
: hard disk. I deleted
: the partition of the
: linux side of my HD.
: and reformated it for dos.
:
: But alas I still have
: the prompt at boot time
: asking me weather
: I want linux or dos.
: I tried saying sys c:
: but it didn't work.

I think
that
typing
FDISK/MBR
from
the
DOS prompt
might be
just the
trick.

---------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >---------------
Steve Frampton                           http://qlink.queensu.ca/~3srf

--< NOTICE!  I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail messages! >--

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. Where can I find lint for Linux

3. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

4. Double checking swap of CPU

5. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

6. compiling qpopper

7. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

8. Spying on a r/w buffer that belongs to another process?

9. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

10. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

11. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

12. can't boot 'boot.flp' version 2.2.5

13. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX