Is it possible for a file has different names under different shells

Is it possible for a file has different names under different shells

Post by Lei Min » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

hi

    I have two questions. The first one is whether it is possible for a file
to have different names under bash and csh. In my department's system, I
came across a strange thing that a folder is called "\r" under bash and "?'
under csh. It seemed that "?" is the right name. Under csh, I can "cd" into
"?". But under bash, I can't "cd" into "\r".

    The second one is that in shell script "startx", there is a line
including a expression "/''*". I am wondering whether "\*" is enough. What
is the use of two single quotes in the "\''*".

    Any help will be much appreciated.

Lei

1. different file names under different shells

hi

    I have two questions. The first one is whether it is possible for a
file
to have different names under bash and csh. In my department's system, I
came across a strange thing that a folder is called "\r" under bash and
"?'
under csh. It seemed that "?" is the right name. Under csh, I can "cd"
into
"?". But under bash, I can't "cd" into "\r".

    The second one is that in shell script "startx", there is a line
including a expression "/''*". I am wondering whether "\*" is enough.
What
is the use of two single quotes in the "\''*".

    Any help will be much appreciated.

Lei

2. Installing ALSA for a SB16 ISA PnP WITH native isapnp support

3. Different Functions of Same Name in Different Libs

4. Background root window image

5. Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

6. RockRidge Unix CD-ROM Format

7. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

8. what **CHEAP** wired NICs are compatible with Linux - thanks :-)

9. file names under different shells

10. search and delete different files in different directories

11. jfs, vxfs, different file system , different ways of increasing

12. Makefiles involving files in different directories requiring different compilers