RealPlayer and RH 6.0

Post by Bob Liesenfel » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi gang,
  Just installed RH 6.0 and I'm getting a second or two of clear sound
and then a "audio: write error 512 Bytes" in the xterm from which
RealPlayer was launched.  Also, RP faults off with a type 1 error, which
their web site calls an unidentified problem.  (great)
  Any ideas?
--
Genuine E-mail From the Land of the Everlasting Icicle...
Bob Liesenfeld

RealPlayer and RH 6.0

Post by George Costan » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi gang,
>   Just installed RH 6.0 and I'm getting a second or two of clear sound
> and then a "audio: write error 512 Bytes" in the xterm from which
> RealPlayer was launched.  Also, RP faults off with a type 1 error, which
> their web site calls an unidentified problem.  (great)
>   Any ideas?

Bob,

  I tried to make the RH5.2 version of RP work with RH6.  If you are
not using the Alpha 2 release for linux, get it.  Works great on
my RH6 box.  Not feature complete, but works for my audio broadcasts.

George C.

RealPlayer and RH 6.0

Post by * » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago when I installed RealPlayer
on my RH6.0 system. A search of the real.com "knowledge base" turned up
the following useful entry. It fixed the problem for me. Here's the entry
from the real.com site. Hope they don't mind.

Why do I receive Errno error messages with RealPlayer 5.0 for Linux?

When you use RealPlayer 5.0 for Linux on a system with the Linux 2.1 or
2.2 kernel, you will receive a "General Error. An error occurred:  Error
1; audio write: Errno" error. If you are using RedHat Linux 6.0, you will
receive a "Segmentation Fault" error instead of a "General Error."

These problems occur because the current Linux 2.1 and 2.2 kernels contain
a modification to the audio device that will crash RealPlayer 5.0.

Several customers have written in to inform RealNetworks technical support
of the availability of a third party solution to this problem.  You can
find further information regarding this solution at:

http://www.i2k.com/~jeffd/rpopen/

Note: All customers experiencing this problem are welcome to install the
third party solution at their own discretion. RealNetworks has not
developed tested this solution and cannot provide support for issues that
may arise due to its use. Please consider this note prior to using the fix
available on this site.

At the current time, RealNetworks is planning for RealPlayer G2
development for UNIX. The fix for the Errno errors will be included in
future versions of the UNIX RealPlayer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Application: RealPlayer 5.0
Article ID: RAP-001014-04
Last Updated: 10/22/99

The information provided in the RealNetworks Knowledge Base Is provided
'as is' without warranty of any kind. RealNetworks Disclaims all
warranties, either expressed or implied, including the warranties of
merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall
RealNetworks or its suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever
including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business
profits or special damages, even if RealNetworks or its suppliers have
been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow
the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental
damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply.

Copyright RealNetworks Inc. and/or its licensors, 1995 - 1999 all rights
rese rved. RealAudio, RealVideo, RealMedia, RealSystem, and RealPlayer are
trademarks of RealNetworks Inc.

--
Mike Gravitz

To use the above E-mail address, change the word "bogus" to "colostate".

1. RealPlayer G2 doesn't work on RH 6.0 KDE 1.1.1?

    Can anyone get RealPlayer G2 to work under RH 6.0?  I downloaded the
RPM file, G2player-6.0-0.99051701.i386_rpm, installed it sucessfully
(yes, I changed the _rpm to .rpm), and set the
REALPLAYER_HOME=/usr/lib/RealPlayerG2/.
    However, first there is that annoying registration/configuration box
popping up everytime I try to run realplay.  Secondly, I can't seem to
play anything on it.  There is no sound, no video, nothing.  It just
says connecting and then stop everytime I try to open a location.  Can
anyone help?
    I'm running Redhat 6.0 and upped the KDE to 1.1.1.  My video card is
an ATI 3D Xpression+ 4MB and I have a AWE 64.  Here is my /dev/sndstat:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.5-22 #1 Wed Jun 2 09:17:03 EDT
1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: AWE32-0.4.3 (RAM512k)

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16
1: AWE Midi Emu

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

Will

2. NIS: ypserv does not accept 'clear' during (re-)make of db

3. RH 6.0 and Mandrake 6.0

4. Linux CD-ROM writing software

5. RH 6.0 vs. Mandrake 6.0

6. EOF, how do I produce it!

7. ethernet failed on install with mandrake 6.0 (RH 6.0)

8. Do any Linux newsreaders support X-Face: ?

9. RH 6.0 to RH 6.2 Upgrade

10. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

11. New GNOME RH 6.0 RPM's on RH 5.2?

12. RH SECURE WEB SERVER 2.0 + RH 6.0 PROBLEMS

13. War Stories Wanted: RH 5.0 -> RH 6.0 upgrade