Redhat 6.0 - kppp connects but nothing else sees the connection

Redhat 6.0 - kppp connects but nothing else sees the connection

Post by marti » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

This is my first attempt at Linux - so I think I'm missing something
obvious...
I just installed Redhat 6.0 with a dialup connection. The modem is on CUA1
and I told kppp this. It dials into my ISP okay - but then my browser and
email client don't see the ppp connection. Can someone tell me what I am
missing? Thanks.

martin

Redhat 6.0 - kppp connects but nothing else sees the connection

Post by <jos.. » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

have you set up the name servers ?
in resolv.conf, there should be atleast one entry.

Add

# Primary DNS server from ISP
nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa

# Secondary  DNS server from ISP
nameserver bbb.ccc.ddd.eee

If your ISP is nice, they will tell you the ip numbers .

Otherwise you will have to find out the IP's some other way.

Or you could enter IP's of a well known DNS server

try pinging a well known site

$ ping www.yahoo.com

If that fails with "Unknown host" or something like that,
then you need to set DNS

try pinging some well known ip numbers , and if that works, the ppp link is
working, but you don't have DNS working.

What happens when you type in a website's address :

1) Browser takes that and sends to some known DNS server whose address is in
the dotted quad notation ( like 207.106.98.24 - that's a random number I
picked out of the air.  )
it says ,
"Hey ,207.106.98.24,     Give me IP address of www.yahoo.com"

2 ) DNS server replies , giving the ip address of the site
        "IP address of www.yahoo.com is 207.167.98.10"

3) Now your browser tries to contact  207.167.98.10 , and you get the
default page.

Probably you just have to plug in the ip address's of the DNS servers. into
the resolv.conf file, just under " nameserver 127.0.0.1" ( 127.0.0.1 is a
number that refers to the loop back interface i.e. it refers back to you )

good luck.

Redhat 6.0 - kppp connects but nothing else sees the connection

that was it - thanks!