Linux SMP question

Post by Guangyong X » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I convinced my boss to buy a PC running Linux as our server. He also
wanted it to be somekind of high end workstation doing some graphical
analysis etc. He is thinking of buying one with dual-processors. I am
kind of against it since I don't believe we will be using more than one
time consuming applicaions at a time. He told me that Win NT can
distribute a process to multi CPUs to make a process run faster even if
there is only one CPU consuming process. Is it also true for linux? I'm
sure if you use multi-thread or more than one heavy processes,
dual-processor would be much faster than a single one. But will Linux
SMP be able to run only one application faster with a dual-Pentium
board? Thanks.
-G.Xu

Linux SMP question

Post by Jayan » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Yes, Linux does support SMP. I have an ftp server running
on a dual pentium Dell Optiplex at work, and it's phenomenal..

Uptime of 170 days or so until now..
( And this one replaced an NT server, doing the same stuff
on the same hardware and crashing about every 5-10 days, :-)

like they say:
"One machine at a time....!"

Jayan

> Hi, I convinced my boss to buy a PC running Linux as our server. He also
> wanted it to be somekind of high end workstation doing some graphical
> analysis etc. He is thinking of buying one with dual-processors. I am
> kind of against it since I don't believe we will be using more than one
> time consuming applicaions at a time. He told me that Win NT can
> distribute a process to multi CPUs to make a process run faster even if
> there is only one CPU consuming process. Is it also true for linux? I'm
> sure if you use multi-thread or more than one heavy processes,
> dual-processor would be much faster than a single one. But will Linux
> SMP be able to run only one application faster with a dual-Pentium
> board? Thanks.
> -G.Xu

Linux SMP question

Post by Nobody U. Kno » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Hi, I convinced my boss to buy a PC running Linux as our server. He also
>wanted it to be somekind of high end workstation doing some graphical
>analysis etc. He is thinking of buying one with dual-processors. I am
>kind of against it since I don't believe we will be using more than one
>time consuming applicaions at a time. He told me that Win NT can
>distribute a process to multi CPUs to make a process run faster even if
>there is only one CPU consuming process. Is it also true for linux? I'm
>sure if you use multi-thread or more than one heavy processes,
>dual-processor would be much faster than a single one. But will Linux
>SMP be able to run only one application faster with a dual-Pentium
>board? Thanks.
>-G.Xu

Linux supports SMP better than Win NT from what I have experienced.
However in EITHER case you will need a multithreaded program to
take full advantage of the dual processors. And windows NT will
NOT make a process run faster if there is only one time consuming
process. Neither will linux. If you have a dual 400 MHz Pentium 2 computer,
you have a dual 400 MHz Pentium computer, which is not equivalent to
a single 800 MHz computer.

In the case above each program you execute will run at 400 mhz, however
you will be able to execute twice as many programs at one time before
the machine shows any signs of being over loaded. If you are going to
be running a SMP machine I would recommend going with a dual
celeron. The performance is great and the cost is about half.

-Jeff

Linux SMP question

Post by Tim Moor » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Celeron's don't do SMP without modification.

Quote:> the machine shows any signs of being over loaded. If you are going to

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.

Linux SMP question

Post by Doug DeJul » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Celeron's don't do SMP without modification.

>> the machine shows any signs of being over loaded. If you are going to
>> be running a SMP machine I would recommend going with a dual
>> celeron. The performance is great and the cost is about half.

Slot1 Celerons don't do SMP without modification.  Socket 370 Celerons
*can* do SMP without modification.

In particular, there are Socket370-to-Slot1 adapter cartridges that
you can use to put a Socket 370 Celeron into a Slot1 motherboard, and
some of these have a simple jumper arrangement that can enable SMP
without modification of the Celeron itself.
--

HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/~ddj/

1. Linux SMP question...

I have a dumb question about SMP under Linux (and other OS probably...).
I am looking for a new motherboard and I was going to get a single slot
1 motherboard but I was thinking that maybe it wouldbe worth getting a
dual processor motherboard instead since the price difference i s not
that large.
        The question is: can I have different cpu's in each slot? i.e. a PII
450 in one and a celeron 400 in the other? I know that under windows 9x
and OpenStep only the first CPU will be used, but will Linux work with
such a screwy configuration?

2. /dev/console not writeable for user

3. Linux SMP question

4. Variable being assign in an if...fi inside of a do...loop is not working, why!? (code enclosed)

5. Best NIC card -- LInux 2.4 SMP -> LInux 2.4 SMP

6. KDE-apps fail to compile

7. FreeBSD 3.1 SMP outperforms SuSE Linux 6.0 SMP by 230 percent

8. Netcraft survey and Microsoft's money

9. List of SMP Boards that are known to Work with SMP LINUX.

10. RH-Linux SMP support (kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7)

11. Linux SMP/ 486 SMP Motherboards?

12. QUESTION: SMP Support For Linux?

13. SMP and Linux question