A module mystery!

Post by Molchu » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:53:35

Hi,

I've got a real trouble with module that I can't figure out. I have two
almost identical Linux systems on my drive, well identical in what I
think is relevant to modules loading: both have 2.4.17 kernel with
exactly the same set up, glibc 2.2.4 and same modutils. The module in
question is ltmodem-6.00 package to drive my LT winmodem, I've been
using it for very long time on different machines and with different
kernels, with devfs and without and it worked fine. And the problem now
is that it works on one system and when I try to compile and load it on
the other it refuses to even load with modprobe saying that the vendor
is unknown and it's not a GPL licence and it will taint( what is this?)
the kernel- insmod failed. Sometimes in pure anger I recompile both
kernel and module and this time it loads although spits the same error
message but when I try to run pppd I just get kernel Oops. I say it
again it works fine on the other partition with exactly the same setup.
Please, somebody help me to solve this puzzle, what on earth could cause
this difference.

Thanks.
Ross.

A module mystery!

Post by Robert Lync » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:16:05

> Hi,

> I've got a real trouble with module that I can't figure out. I have two
> almost identical Linux systems on my drive, well identical in what I
> think is relevant to modules loading: both have 2.4.17 kernel with
> exactly the same set up, glibc 2.2.4 and same modutils. The module in
> question is ltmodem-6.00 package to drive my LT winmodem, I've been
> using it for very long time on different machines and with different
> kernels, with devfs and without and it worked fine. And the problem now
> is that it works on one system and when I try to compile and load it on
> the other it refuses to even load with modprobe saying that the vendor
> is unknown and it's not a GPL licence and it will taint( what is this?)
> the kernel- insmod failed. Sometimes in pure anger I recompile both
> kernel and module and this time it loads although spits the same error
> message but when I try to run pppd I just get kernel Oops. I say it
> again it works fine on the other partition with exactly the same setup.
> Please, somebody help me to solve this puzzle, what on earth could cause
> this difference.

> Thanks.
> Ross.

See:

http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-22

item 22:

22.What does it mean for a module to be tainted?

HTH.

Bob L.
--

A module mystery!

Post by Molchu » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 00:35:43

>>Hi,

>>I've got a real trouble with module that I can't figure out. I have two
>>almost identical Linux systems on my drive, well identical in what I
>>think is relevant to modules loading: both have 2.4.17 kernel with
>>exactly the same set up, glibc 2.2.4 and same modutils. The module in
>>question is ltmodem-6.00 package to drive my LT winmodem, I've been
>>using it for very long time on different machines and with different
>>kernels, with devfs and without and it worked fine. And the problem now
>>is that it works on one system and when I try to compile and load it on
>>the other it refuses to even load with modprobe saying that the vendor
>>is unknown and it's not a GPL licence and it will taint( what is this?)
>>the kernel- insmod failed. Sometimes in pure anger I recompile both
>>kernel and module and this time it loads although spits the same error
>>message but when I try to run pppd I just get kernel Oops. I say it
>>again it works fine on the other partition with exactly the same setup.
>>Please, somebody help me to solve this puzzle, what on earth could cause
>>this difference.

>>Thanks.
>>Ross.

> See:

> http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-22

> item 22:

> 22.What does it mean for a module to be tainted?

> HTH.

> Bob L.

Thanks, I just read the article, as far as I understood it goes only for
binary modules - mine is not. And the puzzle is that it works on
absolutely identical system on the other partition.

Ross.

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. Orinoco wireless network cards

3. Linux "unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29..."

4. XGetGeometry() under fvwm

5. Kernel upgrade: make modules -> nothing to do for 'modules' and complains afterwards ?

6. Employment Opportunity

7. Module rewrite 9/20: x86 module support

8. Programming TACACS Client Info sought

9. problem compiling modules from modules.tar.gz

10. apachectl /suse7.2/rcapache "unused" /php4 module / authldap module

11. *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.25/fs/ncpfs.o

12. no depepndency information for module /lib/modules/2.0.33/misc/hisax.o

13. apache: module post-process output of another module?