DIP timing out?

Post by leath » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00

When I run DIP and there is a period of inactivity, it hangs up.  I am
assuming that it hangs up after a certain period of inactivity.??  Is
there something I can do or run to prevent that from happening?

Thanks

DIP timing out?

Post by Peter Stewa » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: When I run DIP and there is a period of inactivity, it hangs up.  I am
: assuming that it hangs up after a certain period of inactivity.??  Is
: there something I can do or run to prevent that from happening?

: Thanks

This is most likely not the fault of dip, but of your service provider. Most
ISPs track your idle-time over dialup SLIP and PPP connections. If you remain
idle for a given amount of time, they hangup the line to free it for someone
else.

If you still have any documenation lying around about your ISP, take a look
at it. Most will have something like "we reserve the right to terminate idle
connections", or something similiar. Or just call up your ISP's customer
support and ask them if they terminate idle connections. Generally the only
way to get around it is to get a direct, dedicated line, but then you're
talking about a much higher cost.

Pete
Pete Stewart               | "* is the last refuge of the incompetent"

DIP timing out?

Post by James B. Hill » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: : at it. Most will have something like "we reserve the right to terminate idle
: : connections", or something similiar. Or just call up your ISP's customer

: Is someone using an easy way of fooling the ISP? Maybo do a "ping" every
: 5 minutes or so?

: Wim

This certainly seems easy enough to do - maybe a cron job that checks
to see if anything else is using the connection, and if not, tickles
it with some useless but valid command...

BUT - most of the ISP's I've run into CHARGE for SLIP and PPP usage.
If anyone know of one that bills it at a flat rate, and that I can
get to from Central Texas without paying long distance fees, PLEASE
let me know....

jbh

1. RPC time outs at boot time

Recently I've just started having a problem at boot time, when my system is
starting up, I get a bunch of messages:
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out.

I'm currently at a loss as to what to do to fix this.
The machine that is booting is set up to mount a few filesystems over NFS,
but it has booted up fine before.  Perhaps I have a problem with my
tcpwrappers setup? (denying ALL:ALL)

Thanks in advance for any advice, help, etc...

--
John Osborne       " I love the smell of fdisk in the morning... "

2. Per thread alarm call in an MT environment

3. fix VIA Rhine time outs (some)

4. Error compiling 2.4.8 with gcc 3.0.1

5. Netscape time-outs

6. X11 an vga cards

7. named configuartion in a ppp setup - time outs

8. Programmer needed for ISDN Driver COMMERCIAL

9. Socket to SMTP server - periodic time outs

10. SCSI Time Outs? Please Help.

11. Jserv time outs

12. * rwall and shutdown: rpc time-outs *

13. Scsi host time outs -- help