Weird problem - Eterm and rxvt use one minute to start up, xterm does not

Weird problem - Eterm and rxvt use one minute to start up, xterm does not

Post by Rune Jacobse » Sun, 27 May 2001 19:57:07

Hello.

I'm having a weird problem. When I try to start an Eterm or an rxvt (without
any special options) on my Linux box, weird things happen. It takes about a
minute to start them up! xterm does not have this problem, so I am sticking
to it for the moment. Just for fun I made a script called tst which only
contains the "exit" command, and ran it like this:

time Eterm -e ./tst

I ran it a few times (in the spirit of accurate benchmarking ;D), and every
time it came out pretty close to this:

real    1m0.360s
user    0m0.150s
sys    0m0.030s

In addition, I keep top running in the background to see what goes on - CPU
useage is low (99%++ idle constantly), and I have around 40MB of free RAM
when doing this.

Now, seeing that this is a dual PIII-550MHz box, you'd think opening up a
shell window wouldn't be so tough. It works great for everything else. And
it being so close to one minute (just above) every time I run the test, I am
wondering if it keeps waiting for some event that happens exactly one minute
after running - it is quite suspicious.

I ran the same test with xterm, btw., and it took less than a tenth of a
second to open. I also tried with rxvt, but it didn't feel like executing
the exit command properly, so I had to close the window manually. Needless
to say, this window shared the behaviour of appearing exactly one minute
after I issued the command.

So, anyone got any great ideas? I am running kernel 2.4.4 on a debian woody
system - and this system is just for playing about on, nothing serious going
on there, but it would be nice to have it working. So if you know something
that I don't (everyone does, but I mean about this), then please let me
know. :)

Thanks and best regards,

Rune Jacobsen
(From the Windoze machine, feh)

Post by Wim Koorennee » Mon, 28 May 2001 05:36:10

> I'm having a weird problem. When I try to start an Eterm or an rxvt (without
> any special options) on my Linux box, weird things happen. It takes about a
> minute to start them up!

I'm having the same problem. It doesn't take a whole minute though, more
like 15 seconds. Running Gnome (redhat 7.1) on a PIII 733 and 256MB.

If you hear of a possible solution outside of this newsgroup, please let
me know.

--

Post by Ian Northeas » Mon, 28 May 2001 23:05:52

> > I'm having a weird problem. When I try to start an Eterm or an rxvt (without
> > any special options) on my Linux box, weird things happen. It takes about a
> > minute to start them up!

> I'm having the same problem. It doesn't take a whole minute though, more
> like 15 seconds. Running Gnome (redhat 7.1) on a PIII 733 and 256MB.

Problems like this are often name/address resolution related. Ensure
that all interfaces including loopback can be resolved by name and
address. Put them in /etc/hosts if necessary.

Regards, Ian

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:16:44

> I'm having a weird problem. When I try to start an Eterm or an rxvt (without
> any special options) on my Linux box, weird things happen. It takes about a
> minute to start them up!

        What does 'strace Eterm' or 'strace rxvt' show you?  Particularly,
what does it show during that minute?  The output can be a little hard to
understand, but sometimes there are obvious clues.

Quote:> Now, seeing that this is a dual PIII-550MHz box, you'd think opening up a
> shell window wouldn't be so tough. It works great for everything else.

        You know, if you make the rest of us jealous, we won't want to
help you.  :-)

JDW

Weird problem - Eterm and rxvt use one minute to start up, xterm does not

Post by Rune Jacobse » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 22:53:14

Quote:> What does 'strace Eterm' or 'strace rxvt' show you?  Particularly,
> what does it show during that minute?  The output can be a little hard to
> understand, but sometimes there are obvious clues.

Here are the last few lines of strace output before the minute wait:

select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = 1 (in [3])
read(3, "\1w8\0\0\0\0\0\1\225\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 32) =
32
write(3, "\225\0\1\0", 4)               = 4
read(3, 0xbffffa74, 32)                 = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL)        = 1 (in [3])
read(3, "\1\0019\0\0\0\0\0\1\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\236\314Q\352"..., 32) =
32

read(3, 0xbffffa4c, 32)                 = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily
unavailable)
select(4, [3], NULL, NULL, NULL

There's also quite a bit of the same before we get here - i.e. the resource
temp. unavailible stuff.
Now, I guess all I need to do is find out what resource suddenly becomes
availible after one minute of waiting. It shouldn't be RAM, since there's
around 40MB of that free when I try this.

Any further help greatly appreciated..

Quote:> > Now, seeing that this is a dual PIII-550MHz box, you'd think opening up
> > shell window wouldn't be so tough. It works great for everything else.
> You know, if you make the rest of us jealous, we won't want to
> help you.  :-)

Sorry, I'll behave. ;)

Thanks!

Rune Jacobsen

1. Weird and very annoying problem with Xterm and rxvt

Hi, I am running RedHat 5 from the Infomagic Linux 6 CD Developers Resource
(January 98) and whenever I am in X and using a xterm or rxvt it inserts the
letter "q" randomly while typing.  This happened when I had slackware
installed from the same kit.
If anyone can help me please email me.
Also could someone tell me a good GUI text editor like MS Notepad for X, I
cant stand VI in an xterm that keeps putting a q everywhere.
Thanks

2. Dynamic DNS for PPPoE

3. starting another xterm/rxvt and redirecting stderr to it

4. Web based e-mail

5. Can't start xterm, rxvt ...

6. Oracle 7.3.3.6 & AIX 4.3.1??

7. Error using xterm & rxvt on LinuxPPC

8. Wireless Fall Back

9. apache, day one, hour one, minute one, local write permission !?!?!?!?

10. xterm/rxvt not logging in and other console woes

11. Netscape takes one minute to start!!

12. Solution to my "xterm will not start" problem

13. Weird network problem - Second NIC lags terribly when first NIC uses a gateway - Help...?