Recompiled kernel, lost atapi zip drive,ppp permission

Recompiled kernel, lost atapi zip drive,ppp permission

Post by Vaughn & Melinda Arthu » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello:
    I recompiled my kernel with scsi emulation on for my ide cd-writer
and I can access it as a scsi device.  But now I cannot mount my atapi
zip drive.  Any Ideas?

    Also I get a warning about ppp not in the kernel when I use kppp as
a non-root user. But I can still dial out fine what is causing this, any
fixes?

    TIA
       Vaughn Arthur

1. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)

That's odd, I KNOW that a Zip Disk only has 1 platter,
which means it can only have 2 heads (upper & lower).
The math work out, however, so I can't complain. Maybe
this is some kind of LBA (logical block addressing)
thing?

Next question: Now that I have the Zip Drive connected,
how do I get Linux to mount a disk? I have added the
Zip to my fstab with this line:

/dev/hdc  /zip  msdos  noauto   0    0

When I try to "mount /zip" I get a little activity on
the Zip drive, and the following messages:

mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
hdc: media changed
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51
hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
hdc: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x20  ascq: 0x00
hdc: cdrom_read_intr: data underrun (1 blocks)
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 1
FAT bread failed
mount: wrong fs type, bad options, bad superblock on /dev/hdc
       or too many mounted file systems

I only have three file systems mounted (/, /home, /proc),
so I know that I don't have too many mounted file systems.
I'm betting on the bad superblock, and I think that it is
caused by some ATAPI wierdness of the Zip drive. Maybe I
need to specify some kind of block size or something? Has
anyone else used an ATAPI Zip drive with Linux and gotten
it to work?

- Jeff Dutky

2. D-Link220E card problem

3. kernel 2.2.6: ATAPI Zip Drive still a problem

4. Setting cookie via SSI-called script in Apache

5. After recompiling kernel with PPP support, pppd says the kernel has no PPP support!

6. Squid cachemgr

7. lost zip drive after kernel upgrade

8. REQ: Driver for 3Com/MHZ PCMCIA Card

9. lost slip in kernel compiled for zip drive

10. Lost Hard Drive of recompile

11. PPP support lost on recompile

12. Finally got ATAPI ZIP working with ATAPI CD-ROM

13. 2.4.21-rc: lost interrupt wgen usinf atapi cdrom-drive