Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

Post by Rick » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am trying out various mail apps. Mostly KMail, Netscape mail and Pine.
I would like to be able to "synchronize" the various folders between the
mail apps. Is there a way to do this?

Any and all help appreciated.
--
To reply by email remove NOSPAM from my address.

Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

Post by Nikita V. Youshchenk » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying out various mail apps. Mostly KMail, Netscape mail and Pine.
>I would like to be able to "synchronize" the various folders between the
>mail apps. Is there a way to do this?

Easily.
Pine uses ~/mail, KMail uses ~/Mail, and Netscape uses ~/nsmail (or whatever
you set as it's mail directory). Juse create your mail folders in either of
these locations and make symlinks to other locations.

Post by a.. » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I am trying out various mail apps. Mostly KMail, Netscape mail and Pine.
>I would like to be able to "synchronize" the various folders between the
>mail apps. Is there a way to do this?

I don't know what to do about netscape, but synchronizing kmail and pine is
fairly easy.  Kmail will put things in ~/Mail by default, while Pine puts it
in ~/mail.  There is a way o change this default in Pine, but it isn't
necessary to do so.  Just create a symlink either from Mail to mail or vice
versa.  There are only two annoyances with this system.

Kmail creates a "mailfolder.dat" for every "mailfolder" you have in (M|m)ail.
When you view the folder list in Pine, all these .dat files will be listed,
although they contain no information useful to Pine.

Kmail by unchangeable default (at least in 1.1.1) stores incoming mail in a
folder called "inbox" which Pine can't see (since it has a memory buffer
called "INBOX")  For this business to work, you will have to have a kmail
filter which automatically catches every piece of mail and passes it to a
second new mail folder (say "inbox2")  Pine will be able to see this new
folder, and everything will be peachy.  Good luck, and feel free to write the
address below if you have any Pine questions.

--

      "Diaper spelled backwards is Repaid.  Think about it."
                                         -- Marshall McLuhan

Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

Post by Nancy this-address-is-valid McGoug » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >I am trying out various mail apps. Mostly KMail, Netscape mail and Pine.
> >I would like to be able to "synchronize" the various folders between the
> >mail apps. Is there a way to do this?

> I don't know what to do about netscape, but synchronizing kmail and pine is
> fairly easy.  Kmail will put things in ~/Mail by default, while Pine puts it
> in ~/mail.  There is a way o change this default in Pine, but it isn't
> necessary to do so.  Just create a symlink either from Mail to mail or vice
> versa.

I've got instructions for merging the ~/Mail and ~/mail
directories and symlinking them in my Procmail Quick Start at:

 http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#multiClients

If anyone has anyone has any suggestions for improving this,
especially info that I can add to the section called "Commands
for Specific Clients," please let me know!

Thanks,
Nancy

--

?Nancy McGough         http://www.ii.com/         Infinite Ink
-----== Sent via Pine 4.21L running on Debian GNU/Linux ==----

1. importing netscape mail ( with subfolders ) to kmail

I have just copied the entire contents of ~/nsmail to ~/Mail, as per
documentation of KMail.

However, the structure of my mail folders in ~/nsmail have subfolders in
it, and these subfolders are represented by a <FolderName>.sbd. These
subfolders do not appear on KMail.

Anyone know how?

John

2. Writing TTY drivers

3. Kmail Import won't import address book

4. Q: What is a Tektronix XD88/30

5. how to import outlook mail into netscape mail?

6. Can't authenticate Win98 client

7. Sylpheed to KMail - existing mail import?

8. Sound driver for ESS1688

9. Import Backup mail into Kmail?

10. KMAIL import Mails from Outlook Express ?

11. Importing Mail Into KMail

12. get kmail imap folders into main folders

13. How do I stop kmail from checking all mail folders?