what's up with .tar, .gz., .sh???

Post by <briantsai2.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I am a newbie to Linux/UNIX
the files I downloaded from the net: staroffice, QuakeIII Arena etc. end
with .tar, .gz. or .sh.
what's does that mean and
how do I open/install these programs??

thanks

what's up with .tar, .gz., .sh???

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I am a newbie to Linux/UNIX
>the files I downloaded from the net: staroffice, QuakeIII Arena etc. end
>with .tar, .gz. or .sh.
>what's does that mean and
>how do I open/install these programs??

Furrfu.  Read The Fine Manual!  http://www.linuxnewbie.org
http://www.linuxdoc.org

.tar:  Archive, always a bunch of files tacked together using the
"tar" command.  "tar xvf BLAH.tar ; cd BLAH ; less README INSTALL"

.gz: Often combined with .tar, this is a file that's been compressed with
gzip.  If you have a .tar.gz or .tgz file, you'd "tar xvzf BLAH.tar.gz
; cd BLAH ; less README INSTALL"

.sh: Sometimes, programs are shipped as shell scripts that contain
compressed data.  "chmod +x BLAH.sh ; ./BLAH.sh" should extract that
compressed data fairly easily."  HTH, HAND, RTFM...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

what's up with .tar, .gz., .sh???

Post by David Waffe » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

.tar --- archive utility
.gz --- gzip'ed compress utility, you'll find many tar files are compressed
for download
.sh --- bourne shell

EX> quake.tar
Extract by: cd to the directory you want to install and   tar -xvf quake.tar
You should see a README file inside the directory created
EX> quake.tar.gz
Uncompress and untar by: cd to the directory you want to install and   gunzp
quake.tar.gz ; tar -xvf quake.tar
EX> <file.sh>
Shell script, make executable with chmod +x file.sh and run with
.(dot)/file.sh

--David

Quote:> I am a newbie to Linux/UNIX
> the files I downloaded from the net: staroffice, QuakeIII Arena etc. end
> with .tar, .gz. or .sh.
> what's does that mean and
> how do I open/install these programs??

> thanks