Dynamic PPP not routing after connecting with ISP

Dynamic PPP not routing after connecting with ISP

Post by Douglas Mitchel » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

After I connect up to my ISP, who assigned my address (dynamic), I am
forced to manually add a route code,such as

 'route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Is there an option in PPPD or a setting in gated or another daemon so as
to recoginize the new routing?

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>After I connect up to my ISP, who assigned my address (dynamic), I am
>forced to manually add a route code,such as

> 'route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

>Is there an option in PPPD

defaultroute

Quote:>or a setting in gated or another daemon so as to recoginize the new routing?

Oh, you are using "gated"?  It probably more complicated in that
case.  Do you *need* to be using "gated"?

Post by Colin Bloc » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> After I connect up to my ISP, who assigned my address (dynamic), I am
> forced to manually add a route code,such as

>  'route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

> Is there an option in PPPD or a setting in gated or another daemon so as
> to recoginize the new routing?

defaultroute  (try:  man pppd)
CB

Dynamic PPP not routing after connecting with ISP

Post by Lawrence Crag » Sat, 25 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I thought I understood TCP/IP, PPP etc until I came to set up a Linux
system - then I found out how much I didn't fully understand. However, I
found an excellent book on the subject; albeit two years old: it's an
O'Reilly book "Linux, Network Administrators Guide" ISBN 1-56592-087-2.
Worth every nickel of its price.

Before you ask; I have no connection with the publishing industry other
than as one of its customers.

--

1. connecting to isp w/ dynamic ip (ppp)

Hi,

        I'm pretty new to bsd and unix in general.  I would like to be able to
configure my network and connect to my isp from within bsd instead of having to
use Winsock under windows.  My isp uses PPP with dynamic IP assignment.  I
would appreciate any help or pointers to literature/web sites that could help
me.  TIA,  Tom

2. PCMCIA and Sound after 2.0.36 compilation

3. PPP: Problem with route and gateways with a dynamic IP dial up to an ISP

4. FAQ on Linux BBS Software?

5. sendmail hangs when PPP not connected (dynamic IP problem?)

6. Apache won't output embedded plugin to Netscape

7. PPP can not connect to Prodigy ISP

8. Who/What does modify my /etc/motd during boot?

9. PPP dialup to ISP with 2.6 connects only once and will not redial

10. diald connecting to isp with dynamic ip

11. Help in Connecting to an ISP with a Dynamic DNS

12. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

13. Are dynamic routes possible, to 2 isps??